TrueView does not correct roll

Cpt. Trips

TrueView does not correct roll

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Problem:
When yaw exceeds 90 degrees roll becomes inverted. This occurs regardless of 'TrueView' setting.

Replication:
TrackIR 5
Software version 5.2.2
In TrackIR software:
- Yaw head to face 180 degree mark
- Roll head: clockwise roll will result in counter-clockwise roll in software and vice versa.

Confusing, right? I find it especially annoying since my neck muscles don't quite fit the Naturalpoint motion model :P. For me yaw and roll are coupled together so when I turn to face behind me there's a small roll correction I have to do to keep the view level.

I don't think I'm the only one with this problem:
https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtop ... iew#p54014
https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtop ... rds#p52859
MikeWitham

Re: TrueView does not correct roll

Post by MikeWitham »

Cpt. Trips,

I'll see if I can replicate this issue. Those two posts were both from 2012 and I don't see any others that are more recent. Could you get video of this happening in case I'm not able to reproduce it? Have you tried an older version of the software to test it with?

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
wydra91

Post by wydra91 »

MikeWitham wrote:Cpt. Trips,

I'll see if I can replicate this issue. Those two posts were both from 2012 and I don't see any others that are more recent. Could you get video of this happening in case I'm not able to reproduce it? Have you tried an older version of the software to test it with?

Regards,
Mike,

I can confirm this is happening to me as well. Before I hit 90 deg yaw, roll works as intended. At the 90 degree yaw mark, physically rolling my head makes the view pitch. Past 90 degrees, my physical roll acts as inverted roll. One thing I have noticed is roll seems to roll perfectly around the 0 degree axis. What I mean is that if I am yawed to anything but 0 or 180, the target traces a circle around 0 or 180, whichever is closer.
wydra91

Post by wydra91 »

MikeWitham wrote:Cpt. Trips,

Regards,
I am having an identical issue. The problem resides in the TrackIR software for sure. It's not positional tracking, because when I show the representation of my head, it shows just fine what I am actually doing. However, in that translation from what the trackir sees my head position at, and what it translates to, aren't correct.

I have included a link to a recording of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxjgpfl4nSM
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

wydra91,

Thank you for the video. This gives me something to work with. Is it reacting this way regardless of trueview settings?
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
wydra91

Post by wydra91 »

Yes. True view on or off and it seems to have the roll stuck to the global z axis.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

wydra91,

This looks like an issue called Gimbal lock, and it may be a tricky problem to resolve. I've sent this to my Dev team and they are going to have to investigate. Thank you for the video, it will help out a lot.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

Would be glad if you could fix this issue.

Have been dealing with it for quite some time within Falcon BMS.
Reproduction: In cockpit head all the way left (max yaw left)>move head through the max pitch/ straight above you all the way right (max yaw right)...just above you when you pass the middle way the view will snap around 30 degrees and past that poin it will snap back.
Unticking roll axis eliminates the problem.
In a dogfight it's quite a pity since it's problematic to keep track of an oponnent through that angle.
Last edited by Polaris on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wydra91

Post by wydra91 »

MikeWitham wrote:wydra91,

This looks like an issue called Gimbal lock, and it may be a tricky problem to resolve. I've sent this to my Dev team and they are going to have to investigate. Thank you for the video, it will help out a lot.

Regards,
Any news on the gimbal lock issue?
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

wydra91,

Still looking into it. I don't think it is going to be an easy one to solve right away. I will post as soon as we find a possible solution. Hopefully it is something we can tackle without too many problems along the way.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager