Why 5.3 Would Not Work for Me

Pallywoods

Why 5.3 Would Not Work for Me

Post by Pallywoods »

So on saturday I found out that their was a trackIR software update. This was after I had already been using my trackIR 5 (with proClip) earlier in the day. I then proceed to install the new update without thinking about uninstalling 5.2.2 before doing so. Well once it was installed, it wouldn't recognize the IR camera. So I then went into a hell of uninstalls, reinstalls, restarts, windows updates, and crawling underneath my desk to plug the bloody usbs out and back in, switching ports, etc. all in between the aforementioned system work.

Well I had a friend come online on sunday and I was asking him if he updated, if it was working, any issues he had, etc. Turns out he still had an installer for 5.2.1 final. He dropboxed me the file while I continued trying to find a way to get the computer to install the drivers for the camera that I had uninstalled (as they clearly were not working with 5.3). I eventually quit and just uninstalled 5.3 then installed 5.2.1. Right after I set the destination of the install, I get a pop up box that asks if I want to install some drivers. It wasn't very specific on what they were for but I knew they were for NaturalPoint hardware so I went and did it. about 5 seconds later the install was done. I gave it a location on my desktop and then opened it. BLAMO the Camera works instantly.

Seems clear to me that there is some missing drivers in the 5.3 install which I downloaded multiple times this weekend. Sadly, it seems that the auto-install on windows 7 is dying as microsoft pushes their new OS in everyone's faces, wanting to be able to auto-update your precious computer cause they know what's best for you. That might be the reason it isn't working for me but I have installed all the optional and important windows 7 updates during the time I was trying to get 5.3 to work. If it is something microsoft did to ruin it, I fear for the future as it is well hidden.

Anyways, I still have my ticket open so I guess I will still try to get 5.3 to work with help from NP but in the meantime, I recommend not upgrading without a previous installer still on your computer.

TL;DR 5.3 wouldn't work, 5.2.1 installer from friend had the drivers packaged in with it, camera instantly recognized. Don't upgrade to 5.3 yet, until the bugs are fixed (in what I presume will be 5.3.1 or something similar.).
MikeWitham

Re: Why 5.3 Would Not Work for Me

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello,

A little late, but I did find the source of this issue. On occasion Windows tries to overwrite the included driver package during install and corrupts the file. When trying to install it from the .exe it repeats the process. Here are the steps to resolve this issue.

1. Switch the TrackIR to a different USB port (sometimes this resolves the issue by itself)
2. Open Device Manager
3. Locate the unknown device
4. Right click and select "Update driver software"
5. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
6. Locate the correct file. (Default install location is: C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\USB Drivers x64\npusbio_x64)
7. Click Next and follow instructions to finish the process.

That should install the latest appropriate drivers. If that does not resolve the issue, please contact us at help.naturalpoint for the most current official drivers.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager