Is smooth view panning at 30 FPS a myth?

4535jacks

Is smooth view panning at 30 FPS a myth?

Post by 4535jacks »

I have owned TrackIR 5 for a year and on the whole I am reasonably happy with it. The issue that has plagued me for the past year is as soon as the FPS drops below 60, view panning using TrackIR become jerky and unpleasant. It looks like the movement is incremented and not at all smooth and this problem gets worse the lower the FPS is.

This means that I have to lower the settings on FSX, DCS and IL-2 cliffs of Dover to try and minimise the chances of the FPS going below 60 which means each of these games are not as visually impressive as they could or should be.

I keep seeing that people have written online that their trackir is buttery smooth at 30fps. I have tried everything to resolve this issue including reinstalling software, updating drivers, changing priority in task manager, assigning trackir to an underused core and a few other things. Despite this, my problem persists and not willing to accept that I will require a GTX 1080 or Titan to run any game at decent settings with smooth head tracking, I thought I would post here to see if this behaviour is usual for trackir and if there are any other fixes I haven't considered.

Thanks in advance.

Jacks
MikeWitham

Re: Is smooth view panning at 30 FPS a myth?

Post by MikeWitham »

Jacks,

Could you tell me more about your PC specs? Everything works well for me when I cap myself at 30FPS. I'd be interested to find out more about this issue.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
4535jacks

Post by 4535jacks »

Hi Mike, my PC specs are as follows:

I5 3750k at 4.5GHz
GTX 770 2Gb
16GB RAM
SSD
1080p 27" monitor.

As I said, it is silky smooth at 60FPS but if I cap the FPS to 30 even on games that I can play at 60+FPS, the view panning is kinda jerky and there is obvious ghosting. This is the case with DCS, FSX and cliffs of Dover.

I am using the hat clip but had the same problem with the Pro Clip.

I find that below 60FPS, the smoothness deteriorates and this deterioration is progressive as the the frames reduce. Other people have reported the same issue on the Eagle Dynamics Forum.

I hope I can resolve this as I love using trackir and hope to use for FSX at 30FPS.

Regards,

Jacks
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

4535jacks,

What are your V-Sync settings at? What is the refresh rate for your monitor?

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
4535jacks

Post by 4535jacks »

Just upgraded to a GTX 980 and the same issue persists.
4535jacks

Post by 4535jacks »

Mike,

My monitor is 60hz and for v-sync I use in game v-sync rather than forcing through nvidia control panel as this is better for DCS.

I am currently talking to a guy in my gaming group who has a similar setup and he says his trackir is smooth at 30-40 FPS with no sign of ghosting.

Jacks
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

4535jacks,

Have you tried running it without V-sync to see what the difference in performance may be?

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
4535jacks

Post by 4535jacks »

Yes I have tried vsync off and adaptive vsync and both causes jerky movement. View panning is jerky above 60fps due to sudden fluctuations in framerate. It seems for me trackir is only smooth at exactly 60FPS, my display refresh rate.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

4535jacks,

I've been trying to reproduce this and cannot reproduce it. It seems to have no impact whether I run at 30 or 60 FPS. Is there a way you can post a video of it so I can see what is going on?

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
foxtrot789

Post by foxtrot789 »

FWIW, to anyone and everyone experiencing stutters... I have the same issue UNTIL I go into the Task Manager, right click on 'TrackIR' and change the priority to "Realtime". This solves my jerky movement 100% of the time.