Installing 5.4.2 leads to 'catastrophic failure'

SkipperMac

Installing 5.4.2 leads to 'catastrophic failure'

Post by SkipperMac »

Hi,
I've been using TrackIR 5 successfully for many years with FSX. I finally upgraded to Windows 10 and re-installed FSX, but when I try to install TrackIR_5.4.2 the package seems to extract the files but then immediately results in the following message: "Error extracting support files: Catastrophic failure".

I've been running the package as Administrator, and have already gone through the Registry and removed all references to NaturalPoint and TrackIR ... but still the installation procedure crashes. When I then try to cancel out of the installation, I can only exit by terminating the procedure in Task Manager.

Any ideas?
mc_sushi

Re: Installing 5.4.2 leads to 'catastrophic failure'

Post by mc_sushi »

Hello. I have troubleshooted different types of installation errors, but this one is a new one. I would double-check whether you have any lingering registry reference to TrackIR / NaturalPoint before installation.

You could maybe use msiexec function in windows, and it might output more information on what's causing this failure. To do this, check the "C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Temp\" directory in during the installation process, when you see this error message, and search for TrackIR 5.msi installer file. When you find this installer, run CMD with admin privileges then run:

Code: Select all

msiexec  /i  [MSI location]\TrackIR 5.msi  /l*v  C:\temp\msi.log
This will output the error log (C:\temp\msi.log) to give you a better idea. If the error doesn't make sense, you may want to share this with the support guys as well.[/color]