Stuttering/Jittery/laging wheh moving around

Goa

Stuttering/Jittery/laging wheh moving around

Post by Goa »

Hi,
I am struggling to find a solution/fix for the problem I am facing when using trackir 5 when moving my head around in all games I am currently playing expecially in DCS 1.5 and 2.5

This is a video I recorded so you can see it by yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCmUj340aU

My specs: monitor asus pg278QR 144hz gsync monitor
CPU: i7 7700k
Motherboard: asus maximums hero VIII Z170 chipset
ram: gskill tridentZ 32gb ram 3200mhz
GPU: Asus 1080TI
PSU: corsair 850W
Samsung SSD 850Evo 500 gb

I tried all settings: vsync on/ff , gsync on/off, all possible combination.
I tried limiting monitor refresh rate and fps cap's at same monitor refresh rate, the problem is quite simple: at costant perfect 60fps or 120 fps trackir is not stuttering, any value between 60~120fps would generate jittery when panning around.
If i pause or disable Trackir while playing, the game would run perfctly smooth when using keyboard or joystick to look around, it is a problem within trackir itelself as the game is perfectly smooth when trackir is disabled.

There are many posts that hae been posted also here on this forum, give you just a few examples of the same problem I am having:

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtop ... 60&t=14348
https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtop ... 60&t=13991
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174828

I have tried all possible solutions, installed win 10 from scrach, installed DCS and other games , all drivers, chipset, are up to date.
I tried all USB ports on my motherboard and disconnect all aother attached devices such as joystick and stuff, reinstalled and made a clean install again of trackir software (latest 5.4.2)

Thanks for your kind support.
Chris.Johnson

Re: Stuttering/Jittery/laging wheh moving around

Post by Chris.Johnson »

Hello Goa,

Can you go into the advanced Camera settings and check that the IR Brightness is all the way up to 15?

Please let me know if this helps at all.
Attachments
Advanced Camera Settings
Advanced Camera Settings
Track IR Brightness setting.JPG (99.38 KiB) Viewed 21401 times
All the Best,
Chris Johnson
Customer Support Engineer
NaturalPoint
Goa

Post by Goa »

Chris.Johnson wrote:Hello Goa,

Can you go into the advanced Camera settings and check that the IR Brightness is all the way up to 15?

Please let me know if this helps at all.
Hi Chris:Johnson,
first of all thanks for your kind reply.
I've tried the setting you suggested but I haven't noted any improvment.
For some reason trackir is only smooth at constant 60 or 120 fps (or higher than 120 fps), but any value between 60~120 would result in jittery stuttery when i move my head left/right/up or down.
Kurtosis

Post by Kurtosis »

Goa,

What you are observing is a fundamental issue with devices having different update frequencies. To obtain a smooth motion you need all devices and software, in particular TIR, the game, and your monitor to update at a more-or-less same frequency. Otherwise you will get eg. two TIR updates within a single game frame and monitor refresh. Half a second later you could get 1 TIR update per frame, then 3, and so on. This leads to a stuttering motion, especially if the game frame rate is irregular as well. TrackIR 5 updates at 120 Hz. This means you will need to set your game and monitor to update at either 60 or 120 Hz to get the best motion you can get, but 60 is probably the safer bet since it is easier to maintain.

I have the same CPU/GPU as you do, and I limit all my TIR games to 60 Hz using the SpecialK mod, which has an excellent frame limiting solution (and more). This leads to a very smooth TIR motion in DCS World, Arma 3, Elite Dangerous, Everspace, etc. Find the mod here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods

Hope this will help you out.

Kurtosis
Goa

Post by Goa »

Hi Kurtoris,
I dont know that mod and it seems to be available for steam users only, whereas I use DCS standalone.
As for limitig the framerate , it can be done via various softwares such as riva turner , nvidia inspector,etc etc.

I know that limiting fps to 60 allow me to have a perfect smooth game but why others do not suffer of this problem despite having fluctiating fps from 60 to 140 ??
GiltEdge

Post by GiltEdge »

I have had the same issue. I'm not very technically informed, but I think I solved my stuttering by using Nvidia Control panel. Go to 'Adjust Desktop size and position' and then under 'Perform scaling on' select GPU and untick the box below (Override the scaling mode set by gamers and programs).
Im into BMS, so this might not work for those flying different sims.
As I said, I'm not a techy and this might just be a fluke fix.