Track IR 5 ?died? suddenly

andyt1

Track IR 5 ?died? suddenly

Post by andyt1 »

I was playing X-Wing squadrons and paused the tracking / game while stepping away from my computer.
When I came back, both TrackIR LEDs were red color and I couldn't unpause track ir.
The camera was very warm to the touch.
I unplugged and replugged TrackIR, tried different USB ports, to no avail. The camera is not being detected by the PC and the TrackIR software.
I also restarted my PC.
Is it dead or are there ways to troubleshoot it further?
usaf77

Re: Track IR 5 ?died? suddenly

Post by usaf77 »

I also just had mine die and dont know what to do. I dont want to buy another one if its just going to die too. Can anyone help? Ive tried everything.
SpartusKil

Post by SpartusKil »

Same happened here, I just made a post saying:

"Hey guys, so my TrackIR 5 camera is overheating like crazy. It overheats so much that I believe the chip is shutting itself down. Every time i plug it in, Windows recognizes it and then 10-20 seconds later its shuts off. Even the TrackIR software detects it and then poof its gone. I touch the camera and it is insanely hot. I unplug it and then after a while, it cools off.

I decided to open the back and see what was going on and I realized that the second I plug it in, the chip overheats specifically on the top right side of it. It gets insanely hot within 2-5 seconds. What can I do to fix this? Can I fix anything at all? If not, what should my next steps be?

I've been using this for only about 5 months and it happened all of a sudden mid-game. Thanks guys!"
RonMelmac

Post by RonMelmac »

Last night this happened to me too. I've started x-plane and suddenly Track IR frose.
I couldn't get it to work anymore and I noticed that the tracker on my screen was too hot to hold.
Now it's completely dead, no lights work any more, it is completely dead.

I hardly used it the past year and it's only 1.5 years old.

What to do next?
Jokerworld

Post by Jokerworld »

Mine one is the same, it died yesterday when I was playing DCSand still doesn't work today.
rmp5s

Post by rmp5s »

Yup. +1.

I didn't notice mine getting hot, but I was playing DCS with and had to get up to let my dog out. Hit escape to pause, did that, came back, hit escape to unpause and my dude was staring at the sky....hit F12...nothing...hit the "center head tracker" key or whatever it is...I'm back centered (ish) but the tracking isn't working. Go to the software and it's working fine but doesn't appear to be talking to DCS anymore. We've all been there. Decided to try unplugging it and plugging it back in to see if that makes it wake up...and it did! For about two seconds. Then, nothing. Again.

Now, the TrackIR software doesn't see it, device manager doesn't see it, I've plugged it into every USB port I have, even plugged it into another machine. Not even the USB "badoop" sound. No lights, no nothing. What a piece of junk. I've BARELY even used the thing, too. NaturalPoint should be ashamed...selling junk like this for such a ridiculous price...seriously ashamed.