At a Loss

Spyboy

At a Loss

Post by Spyboy »

My TrackIR5 seemed to get nerfed after I d/loaded update 5.4.2.

Checking Naturalpoint forums I did a complete reinstall including editing registry files etc. Following the forum post 'How to fully Reinstall' I was meticulous and very thorough!

Tried a test flight and I was looking backwards in my P39. F9 then manually reposition view F10 to save. Except it jumps back to look over port wing!

Could the camera unit be at fault?

Dunno what to do to resolve, so any advice really appreciated.
Thank you.
Spyboy

Re: At a Loss

Post by Spyboy »

So thinking the camera was at fault I looked around for a replacement. I sent a query, so far unanswered, to Naturalpoint asking if they would sell a replacement camera.
Looking around the usual places (Amazon) I found a Natuaralpoint TIR5 which was unbranded but used NP literature in its sales pictures. Using the contact 'support@naturalpoint.com' I sent the link to NP to show them what I suspected was a copy that was using NPs intellectual property.
Almost by return I got an email from the product sales manager Jon confirming indeed it was a copy and advising not to buy. By return I replied telling him about my track clip problem and enquiring about a replacement camera. No reply. 4 days later still no reply, so much for support!
Anyway I remembered the Track Clip Pro I got with the unit when I bought it in 2011. Found it, plugged it in and .... it worked like a charm.
So now Naturalpoint can you answer me how that can be? It wont work with the hat clip but works with the TrackClip. All on default settings, not even moving the camera position.
Go figure, I can not.
joe.lee

Post by joe.lee »

Hello,

When there is a tracking problem, we would want to check the Camera View in TrackIR software to make sure the 3-markers on the clip is being tracked well in the view.

You can access the camera view by right-clicking on the viewport and selecting the Camera view:
upload1.png
upload1.png (21 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
For the head tracking to work properly, we want to make sure just the 3-green dots, the markers on the clip, are seen by the device, and nothing else in the background. If there are any noises in the background, it can cause a problem with the tracking. Following is an example from using TrackClipPro:
upload2.png
upload2.png (48.65 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
If you see any noise in the background, we will have to identify the source of noise and remove it from the background. For example, if you have a window open behind you, we will want to block the window to prevent the sunlight.

Since you are experiencing tracking problems, could you please monitor the camera view and see if anything is happening in there?

If you could do a video capture of this issue and share it with us, we will be able to better assist with this.

Regards,
NaturalPoint | Customer Support
Spyboy

Post by Spyboy »

Hi Joe
Thanks for the response and suggestions,
In camera view with the hatclip option selected, I get the 3 dots etc. Once I get the 3d view and F12 to centre I still get the dots in the top pane, I cant move head to the right though. This is with default profiles.
I have found the Trackclip Pro that I hadn't used since I bought the software in 2011. Plugged it in, Selected the option, and it works, again on default profile, so its not the camera!
joe.lee

Post by joe.lee »

Hello,

If the issue goes away when using the TrackClip pro, it is possible that there are reflective objects in the background that's adding noise to the data when using the HatClip ( reflector clip ). When using the hat clip, do you see any other red blobs in the camera view other than the three markers? If so, we will need to identify what these are and remove or block them from the view. If you could record the issue and share it, we will be able to better understand this.

Regards,
NaturalPoint | Customer Support