TrackIR will not start, crashes on startup.

Linden

Re: TrackIR will not start, crashes on startup.

Post by Linden »

Are you switching to the Studio drivers though? The Game Ready drivers still don't work. There's some other software I use at work that started working again when I updated and thought it might solve the issue with TrackIR not starting and it did for me.
actrade1

Post by actrade1 »

Been going on for about 3 months now and NP no closer to solving. They basically are waiting for Nvidia to make a change to make NP's software work again.
bwanaaa

Post by bwanaaa »

same here. TrackIR crashes when DCS starts up but otherwise it's fine. No eventlog errors
feint

Post by feint »

Linden wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:02 pm Today I updated to the latest Nvidia Studio driver, 517.40, and TrackIR works again. I'd be curious to know if anyone else gets it working with this driver or if it's a coincidence.
This worked for me as well. TrackIR 5 is now working again.

NVidia 2080Ti here on Windows 10.

NVidia GeForce Experience recommended I install the Game Ready driver 516.94. Instead, I installed the studio driver 517.40 and TrackIR started right up after that without doing anything else. Previously, I tried reinstalling the TrackIR software, removing the hardware, etc.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Some select customers have reported that NVDIA drivers (v516.59) released on 06/28/2022 caused a crash in TrackIR on startup. Not all but most of those same customers have reported that TrackIR no longer crashes with the NVDIA drivers (v517.48) released on 09/27/2022 . If you are experiencing a crash with TrackIR on startup and you have an NVDIA graphics card, then we recommend updating to the latest driver. For some customers downgrading the a driver before (v516.59) has also worked.

If you are still experiencing the TrackIR startup crash after updating your drivers, then please contact us through support for further assistance.

Best of luck,
TrackIR Team
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
tomtomb

Post by tomtomb »

Hey There

Same here. New computer (CPU intel, CGU RTX 3080) with fresh installation of everything.

I've tried
- Going back nvidia drivers to 516.40
- Installing the last studio release of nvidia drivers

I'm really disappointed as I bought a new machine to enjoy mainly DCS and I cannot as TrackIR v5 keeps crashing ever since I launch the program.

Is it here that I contact the support?

Many thanks
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello tomtomb,

I'd love to help investigate what is causing TrackIR to crash. Would you please check the Windows Error Log to see if there are any TrackIR related errors?

If you prefer, you may contact our support team using the Contact form on our website, https://www.trackir.com/help, and choosing Technical Support for the Request Type.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
TRCB

Post by TRCB »

found the fix for mine

As many in this thread mine just stopped working, hear adding then nothing.
tried all the fixes suggested and none worked, I reinstalled which placed a new icon on my desktop and it ran ONCE, then stopped working, reinstalled again, same deal, runs once then stops. I decided to snapshot the app before and after, and i noticed a user and permission got changed

"INTERACTIVE" user with permissions as follows, once I manually added this user back and saved it now works everytime

Obscure but might help others

Win11 full updated/i9 9900/64gr/3080ti
trackir.jpg
trackir.jpg (41.93 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
JohnnyBravo

Post by JohnnyBravo »

Not sure what happened, but it suddenly works again for me.
Must be something that updated in Windows again or so.
MaulkinGrey

Post by MaulkinGrey »

I have done some debugging and it appears that the issue depends on where you last closed your TrackIR application window. If you have a second monitor and you close the app with it moved over there, then it will not allow the app to open there the next time. To fix this I would need to open the file:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Settings.xml

and change the following values:

<WindowTop>100</WindowTop>
<WindowLeft>100</WindowLeft>

This would bring the window back to the main monitor when the app is started, preventing the crash.

I have been able to reproduce this issue 100% of the time. Here are my specs:

Code: Select all

Processor	AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor               3.70 GHz
Installed RAM	64.0 GB
System type	64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition	Windows 10 Home
Version	22H2
Installed on	‎2021-‎05-‎14
OS build	19045.3570
Experience	Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19052.1000.0
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
Driver: 537.42