TrackIR 5.4.2 software issue

Hareball

TrackIR 5.4.2 software issue

Post by Hareball »

Hi all,

Have been using TrackIR 5 for several years without issue. However, in the last week the system has not been working. When starting the TrackIR software, the system hangs almost immediately with it indicating it is ‘detecting’ the device; however, there are no lights in the camera and the program ceases responding. I cannot even force the program to end using task manager and I need to do a hard shutdown (ie power down using the power switch) to even restart the PC. Issue exists regardless if I am configured for track clip or the track clip pro (I normally use the pro).

The PC recognises the camera when connected via usb (it shows up as working properly in the Device Manager), but the TrackIR software fails to detect the unit when launched.

No changes to the pc have been made between it working one weekend, then ceasing to work the next time I tried to use it (no GPU driver updates, no Windows update that I can tell, no hardware changes). I have tried a variety of fixes for crashes that I’ve read in this and other forums - reinstalled TrackIR 5.4.2; tried rolling back to 5.4.1; removed and reinstalled Natural point drivers; cleaned registry entries before reinstalling; tried deleting the settings.xml file in the %APPDATA folder; all without effect.

I do seem to be able to get a response from the camera using TrackIR 5.4.2 on an older pc in the house (not the machine I want to use it on normally) so the camera and sensors seem to still be operable. At one point I tried copying the installed folders over from this pc to the main machine and for a while the camera activated and tracked, but then the program hung again when I attempted to save the profile on the main pc.

It seems like a software issue to me but I am out of ideas for a fix.

Would anyone from Naturalpoint have seen this issue before and have an idea on a cause or a fix?

Thanks

Hareball
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: TrackIR 5.4.2 software issue

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Hareball,

I have a few things for you to try. First, please try removing any custom profiles. They can be found in this directory on your computer: C:\Users\[Your.User.Name]\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles. Does this allow the software to start successfully and remain stable?

Do any of your profiles contain characters other than letters and numbers? The profile names are limited to basic ASCII characters, Letters with accent marks, for example, are not supported.

Have you reviewed the entries in Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any that correspond to the system hanging?

When you deleted the settings.xml, did you also delete ProfileMap.dat?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative