Suddenly TrackIR not detecting device anymore and hangs

Beldalin

Suddenly TrackIR not detecting device anymore and hangs

Post by Beldalin »

Hi there, I could use TrackIR successfully for years up to now. Suddenly TrackIR isn't recognizing my device anymore. The software states "Detecting..." and freezes completely. The device seems to be properly identified as "Natural Point Device > TrackIR" in Windows 10 device manager though. But even worse I cannot kill the process at all via taskmanager and the software even prevents my system from shutting down normaly. Very ugly :cry: So I tried different things, like

- using other USB ports on my pc (of course no hub)
- removing the device completely and reinstalling it
- reloading drivers explicitly from TrackIRs program folder, if the usb driver folder was to be found, because sometimes it was missing
- reinstalling the software and (!) usb drivers, rebooting etc. several times
- even tried version 5.4.1 instead of newest 5.4.2 version, which I use normally

Nothing helps. What can I do else to get it functioning again?

Please help!
Beldalin
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Suddenly TrackIR not detecting device anymore and hangs

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Beldalin,

When the TrackIR software hangs, do you see any error messages on screen? Please also check Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any errors that correspond to the time when the problem started. What happens if you start the TrackIR software with the TrackIR disconnected? Does it still crash?

Please try deleting both Settings.xml and ProfileMap.dat from this folder: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Settings.xml. Are you able to start up the software as an Administrator and have it continue to run?

Were there any other recent changes to your computer?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
Beldalin

Post by Beldalin »

Hi Jillian,

just tried a new reinstall, and got the cam working first - so hardware is ok.
But then I tried to close the software and it hanged once again. The software UI gets grayed out, I get the blue circled cursor and a windows dialog appears after some time, where I can close the software. Most of the time this doesn't work at all. Software with 'no response' in task manager and UI title bar.

A look at the windows events in the viewer at that moment shows 4 errors:
1. Application Hang

Code: Select all

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
 <ProviderName="Application Hang" />
 <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
 <Version>0</Version>
 <Level>2</Level>
 <Task>101</Task>
 <Opcode>0</Opcode>
 <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
 <TimeCreatedSystemTime="2023-03-07T22:16:21.2476828Z" />
 <EventRecordID>104438</EventRecordID>
 <Correlation/>
 <ExecutionProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
 <Channel>Application</Channel>
 <Computer>Tom-PC</Computer>
 <Security/>
 </System>
- <EventData>
 <Data>TrackIR5.exe</Data>
 <Data>5.4.2.27545</Data>
 <Data>65e0</Data>
 <Data>01d95140945ad553</Data>
 <Data>60000</Data>
 <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TrackIR5.exe</Data>
 <Data>11b3836f-9d5d-4efd-a43a-0416901f3244</Data>
 <Data/>
 <Data/>
 <Data>Unknown</Data>
 <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
 </EventData>
 </Event>
2. .NET Runtime

Code: Select all

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
 <ProviderName=".NET Runtime" />
 <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
 <Version>0</Version>
 <Level>2</Level>
 <Task>0</Task>
 <Opcode>0</Opcode>
 <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
 <TimeCreatedSystemTime="2023-03-07T22:17:27.5029618Z" />
 <EventRecordID>104439</EventRecordID>
 <Correlation/>
 <ExecutionProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
 <Channel>Application</Channel>
 <Computer>MyPC</Computer>
 <Security/>
 </System>
- <EventData>
 <Data>Anwendung: mmc.exe Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319 Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet. Ausnahmeinformationen: System.NullReferenceException bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.QueryFilter.UpdateKeywords() bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.QueryFilter.EventSourceSelected() bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.CheckedListComboBox.FireItemsChangedEvent() bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.CheckedListComboBox.RefreshTextBox() bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.CheckedListComboBox.CheckItemInList(String strItem, Boolean check) bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.QueryFilter.SetSources(String eventSources) bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.QueryFilter.InitializeUI(QueryConfig config) bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.QueryFilter.set_QueryConfiguration(QueryConfig value) bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.ShowQueryProperties(Boolean showFilter) bei Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.OnAction(ManagementAction action) bei Microsoft.EventViewer.SnapIn.ViewerRootNode.OnAction(ManagementAction mmcAction) bei Microsoft.EventViewer.SnapIn.ViewerRootNode.OnAction(Object sender, SyncActionEventArgs e) bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.SyncAction.RaiseTriggeredEvent(Object sender, SyncStatus status) bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.ScopeNode.DoAction(Int32 actionId, IRequestStatus requestStatus) bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.NodeSyncManager.ProcessRequest(NodeRequestInfo info, IRequestStatus requestStatus) bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.SnapIn.ProcessRequest(Request request) bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request) bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request) bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo) bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInRequestOperation.ProcessRequest() bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback) Ausnahmeinformationen: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.MmcThreadMessageWindow.OnThreadException(Exception e) bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) bei System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg) bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData) bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInMessagePumpProxy.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ISnapInMessagePumpProxy.Run() bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ISnapInMessagePumpProxy.Run() bei Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInThread.OnThreadStart()</Data>
 </EventData>
 </Event>
3./4. mmc.exe Application Errors

If I delete those 2 files in %appdata% I could restart the software and they got recreated (only when device was unplugged).
If I start the software with an unplugged device it starts normally with the 'Device: No device detected...' message.
New hardware? Indeed I got a new monitor in the last weeks: G-Sync Monitor MSI MAG274QRF-QD (Display Port connected to my NVidia 3060 TI)

Hope that helps
Beldalin
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Beldalin,

Are you using more than one display, or just the single monitor connecting to your graphics card? Have you updated the drivers on your graphics card? What version of NVIDIA drivers are you currently using?

What versions of .NET do you have installed?

Are you running the TrackIR software as an Adminstrator?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
Beldalin

Post by Beldalin »

Hi,

sometimes I use 2 displays, but problem arises in both use cases.

NVidia Game Ready Drivers are the latest one 531.18 - I'm currently waiting for the patch that is announced for them too.
Tried to use older version from end of 2022. Even installed the latest version with DDU and NVCleanstall, just to be sure - without success.

Registry says latest is .NET version 4.8.04084 (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full).

Of course do I run TrackIR as Admin ;)

Cheers
Beldalin
SniperPod

Post by SniperPod »

It happened to me too, while I was using it suddenly for no reason it stopped working. I have not updated the PC or changed the location of my workstation.
Suddenly the device acts as if it has lost the trackclip pro signal and is not detecting it. If he decides to repeat it, he does it alone and behaves as if he were crazy, appearing red spots in the trackclip's three green led panel. Yet I don't have any IR sources of interference nearby.
I am convinced that it is a software problem with some windows update. If you read the forum there are several cases of people complaining more or less the same problem.
Beldalin

Post by Beldalin »

Well I know the hardware is working, because 2 or 3 times I could see the device as connected (TrackIR #31....) and the software was working, - until I try to shut down the client or until reboot.

Have now updated to latest NVidia drivers 531.26, but problem remains the same.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Beldalin,

Did you try deleting both Settings.xml and ProfileMap.dat from this folder: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Settings.xml?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
Beldalin

Post by Beldalin »

Yep, I did this as soon as you told me. What I can do is with the installed software
- unplug the device
- reboot windows
- start trackir software (no device connected)
- plug the device in
- device is recognized and useable !!

But as soon as I restart the software or the pc with the device still connected, the software hangs and the device is not working anymore.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Beldalin,

When you uninstalled and reinstalled the TrackIR software, did you have the TrackIR connected? I would suggest going through the following steps again in this order:

If you have any custom saved profiles, you will want to copy them to a temp folder before proceeding. Profiles are stored in the App Data folder which is hidden by default.

Follow this path using your user name. C:\Users\[Your.User.Name]\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles
To show hidden Items Click on the view tab in your window Explorer and select Hidden Items

Then, please try doing a Full uninstall and reinstall of the software and see if that helps, especially steps 3 and 5. You can follow these steps below:

1. Unplug the TrackIR from your computer.
2. Remove TrackIR from add/remove programs.
3. Remove NaturalPoint Drivers from add/remove programs.
4. Delete NaturalPoint folder from Program Files x86.
5. Delete NaturalPoint folder from %APPDATA% location. (AppData is a hidden folder)
-C:\Users\[Your.User.Name]\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint.
6. Reboot PC.
7. Download the latest installer from our website.
-The latest download will also have our latest USB Drivers.
8. Right-click and install as an administrator.
9. Locate the Track IR 5 Icon on your desktop, Right-click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe