TrackIR5beta01 using TIR4 hw. Jittery in car view.

travisray

TrackIR5beta01 using TIR4 hw. Jittery in car view.

Post by travisray »

Hello,

Just gave beta01 a whirl, using TIR4 and vector tracking(3 dot hat clip)... and had mixed results.
Installed without trouble, recognized my TIR4 hardware, the application started and operated fine. It also was able to use my TIR4 racing profile, too.

But, in my GTR Evo cockpit view it seemed like the driver was spazzing out (head moving forward/back). Checking the settings in beta01 revealed the 3d heads were jittering around too.

If I move my head about 12 inches from the TIR4, then the jittering stops. If I increase smoothing to 55+ then it subsides, but I think this is a band-aid workaround which makes response way too laggy. Adjusting the other available light filters, etc. didn't seem to help. There isn't any stray light shining into the TIR4 window, either.

I can't find a "Preferred Object Size (Pixels)" setting (found in v4.1b36's View->Tracking->Settings-which was set to 100) in beta01. Not sure if this has any bearing on the issue...

Uninstalled beta01 and reinstalled v4.1b36 and it's smooth as silk. Smoothing set to 24, Preferred Object set to 100, vector tracking, and sitting comfortably about 24 inches from the TIR unit.

Using beta01, I did notice in the "Camera" view that the 3 reflective dots were flickering a bit around the edges. I think this is why from 2 feet away the view was so jumpy. Something to do with the software being too sensitive to the few flickering pixels around the edge of the dots, resulting in the view moving forward/back.

Let me know if I can provide any other info.

-Travis
Birch

Re: TrackIR5beta01 using TIR4 hw. Jittery in car view.

Post by Birch »

Hello,

Right now the TrackIR 5.x software is not able to properly import profiles from the 4.x software. It may display the profile name if you copy the file, but the acceleration curves won't be right. If you copied any in, you should remove them. Instead try using or customizing one of the supplied defaults. Using these profiles (with the smoothing value of 55) should do the trick, but if it doesn't please let us know.

The smoothing setting of 55 in the 5.x software is equivalent to about 20 in the 4.x software, so that is the correct conversion value to use.

Here is a chart for translating the smoothing values between the apps :
http://media.naturalpoint.com/ftp/npupl ... sion_2.png
travisray

Post by travisray »

Birch,

Just some more observatons/feedback...

I just reinstalled v5 software and used the default profiles. It still seems like the Z axis is very jittery (same as last time).

The 6DOF raw values (Yaw, Pitch, Roll, X, Y) reported in software hold nice and steady when I am sitting still (the values don't jump around at all), all except Z(it deviates like crazy ~.40).

It does this even w/smoothing @ 55.

In game everything works great with Z axis off. :)

-Travis
Birch

Post by Birch »

Travis,

Thanks for the feedback. We'll investigate this to see whats going on.

What you might consider doing in the meantime (instead of turning the axis off) is adjusting the Z acceleration curve to be half or one quarter its speed and make a larger dead-zone.
DarkmanReturns

Post by DarkmanReturns »

Hmmm, I'm having exactly the same issue (Z axis jittery) though I'm using a Track Clip Pro with my TIR 4.

I've tried taking smoothing up to 60, and dumbing down the acceleration curve without enough improvement to be useful (i.e. I can almost get rid of the jitter but the accuracy of the Z axis response is compromised too much).

Everything else about the new software is working smoothly.

P