Beta version crash

JuMo

Re: Beta version crash

Post by JuMo »

up

Any news on this? Any workaround for the time being, perhaps?

Tnx for making this a known issue, btw, kinda makes me feel less lonely :)

Regards
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Your log files are being looked at, and we are narrowing it down to several issues..
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

Nothing new really, just maybe a little more help to narrow it down:

Same bug here, it just starts very infrequently, most of the time not at all. I have tried the compatibiliy mode someone was suggesting, that works, either as NT or Win2000. Just started it several times, always started as intended. Disabled compatibility mode and got the crashes again, reenabled compatibilty mode, it starts again.

I'm running Win XP 32bit on a Phenom II 940, 4GB RAM, Gigabyte MA69G-S3H (AMD 690G chipset with SB600), Radeon 4850 with Catalyst 9.6

So it's not due to the Intel platform some people found as a coincidence, but it could be the Radeon 4800 series and/or the OpenGL driver. Since the log file stops just before the line "3D View initialized", this obviously fails. When the window pops up shortly for a split second, one can see everything on the left, but the right side with the 3D view stays just black, another hint that this is the part that's borked.

In compatibility mode, the 3D view looks a bit aliased in contrast to the normal mode (which I happened to get working once today), where proper AA is applied as set in the driver panel. So it seems this compatibility mode seems to bypass the driver somehow; actually I have no idea what it exactly does though.

Just some ideas I wanted to pass on. At the moment the hint with the compatibility mode works for me, so I can give you a few days *cough* to fix it ;)
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Please email support, with issue
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

Just did, not sure why though, because they are certainly reading this thread already, and I will notice when the next beta is out.

Anyway, some more experiences that may or may not help:

Today I started the software with the compatibility mode set to NT4 and then ArmA2, but I experienced some serious lags/freezes (actually ArmA2 running at about 0.3fps, alt-tabbing out and back in fixed it for a while). In the trdb.log file a lot of lines like

[06/18/2009 01:28:49:953] 0x3da4: Dropping frame. [frame ID = 153]
[06/18/2009 01:28:49:968] 0x3da4: Dropping frame. [frame ID = 156]
[06/18/2009 01:28:49:984] 0x3da4: Dropping frame. [frame ID = 157]

This is certainly only due to the compatibility mode, yesterday I tried it with Win2k setting, that worked better I think. Have to test that out a little longer, at least it is obvious that this workaround is not really perfect (especially since it doesn't always work around the crash-at-start bug).

And an idea: Is it be possible to start the software with a parameter or something else that disables the 3DView?

That way it would be of course less comfortable to adjust settings, but when these are set well for once, one usually doesn't fiddle with them anymore and just starts the software to activate the Trackir, so the 3DView isn't needed.

For the time being, i.e. until a good bugfix has been achieved, this might be a fast way to make the software usable again. Of course only if this is either already implemented or easy to do, I don't want you to put any time and effort into this when you can tackle the real problem at the time.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Answered via email.

I needed you to email me, so I could send out a troubleshooting version of the exe file.
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

Ouch, you already did? Then probably my spam filter ate your mail, I'm sorry for that. I'll mail you again from a different address, if you would be so kind to send it again, I'd appreciate that.
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

I have the feeling that the problem is gone since I upgraded my Radeon 4850's drivers to Cat. 9.6, I have opened the trackir5b4 software now several times without a crash. That is only a few days now, so I can't say for sure, but it looks good so far.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=Brainbug]I have the feeling that the problem is gone since I upgraded my Radeon 4850's drivers to Cat. 9.6, I have opened the trackir5b4 software now several times without a crash. That is only a few days now, so I can't say for sure, but it looks good so far.[/quote] Good to hear!
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
capt_t

Post by capt_t »

I also use a 4850 on my system but i can NOT confirm a better situation with the latest CATALYST 9.6.

Essential at my situation is that i have errors only with Windows XP. Never crashed on Windows Vista!

Regards

C.T.