New user question over rotation speed etc

meditek

New user question over rotation speed etc

Post by meditek »

Hi all,

I just got my 5 today along with the Trackclip pro. It's all working great in Aces High and I haven't been sick yet!

Anyway, as a newbie with this thing, could someone tell me how to adjust the field of view (e.g. turn head 2" for 180 degrees) without increasing the rotation speed. I presume it has something to do with adjusting the curves? However, I haven't managed it! In other words, I want full 180 degree views adjusted to a comfortable (for me) degrees/sec.

Thanks
VincentG

Re: New user question over rotation speed etc

Post by VincentG »

On the yaw axis, move the points toward the middle of the graph.
meditek

Post by meditek »

Maybe I shouldn't be using the beta software. Moved the points to very near the middle - no difference. Also the X axis seems immune to graph changes.
glzath

Post by glzath »

Med, go to the Aces High webpage and forums. Within the Hardware catagory do a search on "trackir". There are some great threads and a few downloads of how-tos and AH2 profiles within those threads. They'll get you in the ballpark then you tweak to your liking.

My first flight landed 3 kills.
meditek

Post by meditek »

Thanks Torcher. Did have a look but no one seems to have any version 5 set ups yet. I am getting used to this software which is not exactly intuitive.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=meditek]Hi all,

I just got my 5 today along with the Trackclip pro. It's all working great in Aces High and I haven't been sick yet!

Anyway, as a newbie with this thing, could someone tell me how to adjust the field of view (e.g. turn head 2" for 180 degrees) without increasing the rotation speed. I presume it has something to do with adjusting the curves? However, I haven't managed it! In other words, I want full 180 degree views adjusted to a comfortable (for me) degrees/sec.

Thanks [/quote]

If you want to be able to have more in-game movement with less real head movement, you'll have to increase your rotation speed. They go hand and hand.

However, you can achieve this (more effectively, in fact) without touching the "speed" slider in the basic settings section. You're correct in assuming this is done with the motion curves.

The Default Profile should allow you to look left and right (Yaw axis) around +/- 180 degrees rather comfortably. If you want to be able to do so with even less head movement ("make it faster!"), you'll want to increase the Y values on the curve. (I'd recommend only adjusting Yaw, and perhaps Pitch, from the default profile for starters. It's really the key axis to fine tune initially.)

In the default profile, the third control point is around 4.5 on Y value. Try bumping it up to around 6. The 4, 5, and 6 control points are around 6 on the Y value. Try bumping them to around 7.5. The net result should give you more in game movement on the Yaw axis (nodding "no") with less physical head movement required.

If you want to go the other way ("slow it down!"), you can move those same points to about 3 and 4.5 respectively for the Y value.

This same process can be applied to each axis, if you wish to edit them all. The relative values will be different, as most people want some axes (like roll for instance) to be quite mellow, while others (like yaw) are more aggressive.

The simple, broad approach is to adjust the speed slider. It simply multiplies all values on all axes of a profile by X amount. This is helpful for quick, small changes. An significant increase or decrease in desired "speed" is best handled with the motion curves.

Hope this is what you're looking for! :)

-Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
meditek

Post by meditek »

Thanks Seth for a very clear exposition. May I suggest that it is included in the manual.

Incidently, when I said turn head for 180 degrees, I should have said 'in each direction'. That would be looked upon as 360 degrees I suspect.

By the time I went to bed I had discovered that with some fine tuning the Precision setting could be encouraged to work quite well throughout the band.

Incidently, when I first plugged in the kit, a message came up suggesting that I used a faster USB port. All my ports are 2.0. Is there a faster USB?

There is one thing that I would find useful. It has probably been mentioned before but would, I suspect, be fairly easy to incorporate into the software. Namely, the ability to physically limit the degree of turn witha 'Stop at xxx degrees' command. This would enable 'snap' check six movements without fear of 'overshoot' if the yaw and pitch could be capped at say 180 degrees. I realise that this can be achieved in a sort of way by much fiddling but the final result isn't exactly always what you really want.
Last edited by meditek on Sat May 09, 2009 1:10 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: addition