TrackIR Beta 3 and Aces High

maddafinga

TrackIR Beta 3 and Aces High

Post by maddafinga »

Just downloaded and created a profile for me to use in Aces High 2. I like the way it seems to move a bit better than the 4.37 software, however, when I pull the trigger to fire the guns, it pauses the TIR. This did not happen with the 4. software at all. It does not pause when I fire the guns seperately but when I pull the trigger, which is set to the Global Fire All Guns in the AH2 stick mapping utility built into the game, it does pause my TIR. I have pause set to a button on my throttle, as I always have with the 4. software. Any ideas or help on this would be great.

The Z axis shakes in and out some for me too, unless I have the smoothing all the way up, wich is too much for the other axes. I use the TrackIR4 Pro setup, but I uninstalled its software and am using the newest software now, the 5.3 I think it is.

madda
meditek

Re: TrackIR Beta 3 and Aces High

Post by meditek »

I don't have that problem, although it sounds convenient! In fact I programmed trigger 1 on my Cougar Hotas to do just that. I have smoothing at 84% and speed at 0.6 which works. I also have the middle of all graphs plonked on 0 which isn't a problem delay wise. I am using the trackir 5 btw.

However, I did have a problem with directly mapping view keys to AH (pre-TIR). I lost the ability to move my head (arrows/f10 etc). Maybe it has something to do with that.

My only wish is that you could set a limit to degrees of movement which would allow 'snap' looks without danger of overshoot etc.
maddafinga

Post by maddafinga »

It really amounts to being a pita really. If you take a close range snapshot and try to look to see if it hit or if you miss, you have to unpause it to look around again. This is while you really should be thinking about nothing at all except acm. It ends up being very frustrating.

I also found out last night that using the throttle key that I have set for my squad vox caused the TIR to center, which wouldn't be a problem except that if you were looking anywhere but straight when you talk, your centerpoint gets way way off and can be disorienting, especially in a fight.

I ended up setting the hotkeys back to the defaults on the keyboard and had no problems after that. I just feel like I should be able to have these things on my stick and throttle where I can just easily hit a button when I need to. I can do it with the 4. software but not the 5. software.

That said, I can get better views using the 5. software, as I seem to be able to move my virtual head around more. I can get rear views and odd angle views easier with this new stuff. Once they get all the kinks worked out I'm sure it'll be great. I've already gone to only using the new software to play.

As far as snap looks, have you tried tweaking the curves so that at the end of travel the movement is less amplified? That might work. I really don't have any problems at all with quick snap looks like that. It may just be a muscle memory issue though, I've had TIR now for a few months and have gotten used to it. I even got my hit percentage back up to where it was before I switched to the TIR.

I do love this thing and would never go back to using views.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

And you are mapping them thru the TrackIR5 software, and not thru the stick mapping software?

Nothing mapped to those keys strokes, within joystick software?
maddafinga

Post by maddafinga »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]And you are mapping them thru the TrackIRT software, and not thru the stick mapping software?

Nothing mapped to those keys strokes, within joystick software? [/quote]

Yes I am in both cases. I don't use the stick mapping software at all. I use AH2's in game keymapping utility to map functions to my stick buttons, but since I have been using TIR4 I've got those buttons unassigned in the game so that I could use them with the TIR. I programmed the hotkeys for center and pause through the TIR software (5.03) and nothing whatsoever other than the TIR uses those keys. This is as I had it with the 4.37 software, and it works just fine with that. Using the 5.03 software, every time I pull the trigger to fire guns, it pauses the TIR, every time I use the pinky button on my throttle it would center the TIR.

What is more strange is that I have the pause button set to my throttle but it's the stick button that makes it pause, and the center button is on my stick, but it's a throttle button that causes the unwanted center to happen.

Now the buttons that I have set on the stick to center and pause the TIR work just fine, it's just the extra pause and center that are superfluous and problematic.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

What is the normal option set to for firing the guns?

Does it have multiply options set to that key?
maddafinga

Post by maddafinga »

I'm not sure what you mean about the normal option set to for firing guns.

In AH2 they have a stick mapping utility in the game settings, so that the game recognises the stick and if you press a button on the stick it performs whatever game function you set the game to perform. The stick has no programming in it at all, I only use it for AH2 so I've never needed to use the CH software to do anything except calibrate it.

When I bring up the AH2 stick mapping utility, it has a list of all the buttons it sees on the stick. I double click the button I want to map, the trigger in this instance, and the game opens a dialogue box that shows every function able to be mapped to the button that I have selected. AH2 has these commands broken down by catagory, global, flight, view, etc. I have the trigger set to Global Fire All Guns. Once I select that option, the game saves that in its settings file. Now when I pull the trigger it fires the primary and secondary weapons, e.g. cannons and mg, at once. That is the only function performed by the trigger from that point on.

If I was not using the stick I could use the global fire all guns command from the keyboard, I think it was the f key. It's just one keypress of one key though, not two keypresses at once if that's what you mean.

Now I have other buttons on my stick set to firing the primary and secondary weapons, so that I can have the option of firing them seperately when need arises, but pressing those buttons had no effect on the TIR.

I don't believe the game gives you the option to perform more than one function per button press. I may be wrong though, as I've never felt the need to try. I know that you can do that with the stick software, but as I've said, I don't use that.

Hope that explination helps, if not, let me know. I realise that I'm not a great or clear writer much of the time.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

In the TrackIR software, if you press the trigger button, on the joystick, does it recenter the view there as well?
maddafinga

Post by maddafinga »

Well I hadn't tried that before actually, but it turns out that yes it does. I tried it again with teh 4. software, and it does not do it with that software. Strange I think. In case it helps, I am using a ch fighterstick and pro throttle.
maddafinga

Post by maddafinga »

So is there something I should change or do differently then or is this just a strange software interaction between the stick and throttle and TrackIR? I'm kind of at a loss here really. I can get by with these buttons on my keyboard but Really I'd prefer them back on my stick and throttle like they were with the 4. software.

Thanks