Track IR B3 Things

meditek

Re: Track IR B3 Things

Post by meditek »

Maverick

I can vouch for the fact that you can limit the degrees of movement using this method.

The best way to establish it is to fiddle with the graph on the lines indicated by Birch whilst your head is turned about as much as you want it to.

However, acceleration/speed or whatever you wish to call it comes rather too much into play, for it also gets involved with degree of turn. The software seems incapable of separating speed and turn degrees. If you want a relatively slow pan to 180 degrees it is near impossible. My suspicion is that even if a user limit can be imposed on degrees of turn it will still be too fast for comfort.

This is how I obtained a 180 x 2 yaw view sitting around 30" from the monitor. I like a big dead zone.
[img:left]http://artist-paints-with-oils.co.uk/yaw.jpg[/img]
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

"The software seems incapable of separating speed and turn degrees."

The main issue here isn't about the software's capability. A 1:1 correlation between head movement and game view control isn't suitable for most, because looking 90 degrees in real life means you can't see the monitor. Motion scaling is a solution to this. It allows you to see +/- 180 degrees in game while still looking at your monitor. However, because the motion is scaled, it is inherently faster. You can't keep the amount of scaling fixed and adjust the "speed," as they are interdependent. The name of the "Speed" slider does kinda imply this is possible, but mathematically it isn't.

My recommendation is to keep the speed slider at 1 at all times. It is only intended to be a broad adjustment control for basic users that don't want to get into the profile curves. But, if you're willing to dive into the motion curves, keep the speed at 1 (unscaled), and then scale it up in a more granular fashion through the motion curves. This allows much more subtle changes to the motion, as well as different scaling for different axes (if desired), more fine-tuned deadzones, more consistent acceleration, etc.

Having said all of that, if you find something that works for you, keep it. It is, after all, *your* profile. :)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
meditek

Post by meditek »

Yes Seth, I forgot to say that fiddling with the graph also included fiddling with the speed. In actual fact, I determined the no of degrees by fiddling with speed with my head turned. The above graph works fine in Aces High. It looks odd because that was the only way I could get the speed rightand limit the view.

I'm actually pretty happy with the settings I arrived at for AH but it took time. I now appreciate from your comments how the software functions. As you say, 'speed' is a misnomer. 'Ratio' with a definition in the help file on the lines of actual/screen would have been clearer.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

What it literally is, for the sake of clarity, is a multiplier. So, if you set the speed slider at 4, it multiplies every control point value on every axis by 4 (this is visually represented in the graph with the orange line... the end-result after speed multipliers are applied). If you set it at .8, it multiples them all by .8--and so on.

That's why it's really designed for broad, simple adjustments to all of the motion, for those users that want to make the motion "go slower" or "go faster" without messing with the motion curves. Those that want detailed motion editing, by in large, would do best to keep the speed ("multiplier") at 1 and then make changes with the motion curves. It's the simplest and most direct way to integrate changes--small and large--without "overdoing" it.

That's the recommended workflow, at least. Of course, if you're happy with where you are, no matter how you got there, feel free to stay put. ;)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack