TrackIR4 + TrackIR5 software

bman2006

TrackIR4 + TrackIR5 software

Post by bman2006 »

NaturalPoint-

Good morning. I have been a loyal fan and customer for years now with my TrackIR 4 Pro - It's hard to believe that you actually could make a better product than TIR4. I already through it was perfect :) To this day I swear by it daily on my favorite flight sim forums. Congrats on the TIR5. If my TIR4 wasn't so dang trusty, I would run out and get TIR5.

On with my questions:

1) I installed the TIR5 beta software, is it truly intended to also be used with the TIR4 pro base unit?

2) The "Light Threshold" limit on the low end is 150. This means that I have to have my head clip about 24" or less for all for reflectors to be tracked. I have the LED brightness full right to max (15)and threshold to far left (150).

I noticed that under the settings of TIR4 software that the threshold limit can be set much lower - currently I have my threshold on release 4 at around 40. This causes the reflectors to be large and in charge and they aren't lost tracking at 48" +/- from the head clip.

Is there a way to drop the TIR5 software down below 150 as this just causes the reflectors to be too weak to be picked up in my typical simulator set up. Let me know as I would really like to explore the TIR5 software in more detail; however, that may require TIR5 base unit..

VincentG

Re: TrackIR4 + TrackIR5 software

Post by VincentG »

If you are using the TrackClip (clips on the hat brim), have you tried cleaning your clip with warm soapy water?
bman2006

Post by bman2006 »

Vincent - Good morning, I have lightly cleaned both the base and the clip just for kicks to see if it made a difference.

The "light threshold" is the key. TrackIR 4 software allows you to really crank it down. I rechecked my settings last night and I keep the threshold at 60. The base track the clip reflectors large and very visible.

I went straight to the Beta 5 software and the tracking view indicated that the dots were barely visible (mostly red and not tracking). If I back up just a little, the clip reflectors are no longer even visible. Bear in mind the threshold on beta 5 minimum = 150.

So, I have no problem flying with software 4 but v5 just doesn't see the reflectors well enough. Any other thoughts? It there a way to override the minimum threshold with v5 ?

Benjamin
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Try manually adjusting the settings.xml file (LightfilterThreshold tag) adjust the number to 40, and try using the clip again, see if that responds better.

Note that changing the value in the XML file won't show up in the UI, and if its changed in the UI it will overwrite the manual XML file alterations.

If that improves it, let us know and we will review changing the minimum slider value.
bman2006

Post by bman2006 »

Nailed it! Perfect. The 40 setting made the tracking dots large and tracked. I am able to sit a normal distance from my monitor now.

As noted, provided I don't change a slide, it won't doesn't default back to 150 (as 40 is indicated).

Benjamin.