TrackIR software 5.0 beta 4 available

BMoffa

Re: TrackIR software 5.0 beta 4 available

Post by BMoffa »

Why can't you make the rotation limit an option that can be applied to each individual access?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

That is something we are looking into.
skullxbones

Post by skullxbones »

Did you guys find anything that caused the x axis limitation in beta 4?
BMoffa

Post by BMoffa »

Why are you still storing profies in the Program Files folder? That directory is not supposed to be used for that kind of thing any more.
whforbesii

Post by whforbesii »

Im having an issue with the way it centers. It looks as if I'm sitting in the cocpit left of center when I center the F key..
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

What gaming application?

Are you directly in line with the steering wheel/yoke?
JuMo

Post by JuMo »

[quote=BMoffa]Why are you still storing profies in the Program Files folder? That directory is not supposed to be used for that kind of thing any more.[/quote]

Good Point. (Even under Windows,) storing user- and application specific configuration data in the application folder has been deprecated for a decade now:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms995853.aspx
(excellent whitepaper from MS on where to store such things, dated 2000)

but unfortunately, many developers still don't seem to care ;)
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

I can't speak for our dev team on this, but despite what MS recommends, I loathe their recommended structure (xxxx user\Application data or xxxx user\Local Settings\Application data for individual users and All Users\Application data for everyone). Maybe it's because I live in a household of computer... rookies... and their characterization of these upon install is completely random. So, when I go in and look for whatever app files I'm searching for, I end up wading through multiple locations. Program Files, to me, is more centrally located and intuitive for your average PC user.

That's my two cents on the issue. :)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
JuMo

Post by JuMo »

Tnx for the reply,

I understand your points, a few examples though: with using the right paths, rookie A can't accidentially delete rookie B's files, and you wouldn't necessarily need a "back up profiles" routine in the uninstall. Having all user data in one path (possibly on a different partition) also makes backups easier, to name a few things.

I agree though its not exactly essential for an app like TrackIR, and I know that it's a pain to implement this correctly, with proper regard to ntfs permissions and all (does Trackir run with less than admin rights?), so it's better to spend the resources on important stuff. Compliant setting handling is more important in large corporate networks with software distribution and multi-vendor apps. My support staff constantly battles with non-compliant apps. Like they have a deep, sincere love for applications that try to write to program files, where common users don't have change permissions :-)

Anyway, for my money and on my home box, TrackIR can put it's data where it wants. I guess BMoffa's post just triggered a nerve with me, sorry, and sorry for getting off topic :)

(No I don't work for MS :-)
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Haha, not a problem at all. Good points to consider. :)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack