Magnets Repel?

Thirdup

Magnets Repel?

Post by Thirdup »

UPS just dropped off my Trackir5. It appears the magnets in the base may be reversed (instead of sticking together, the two pieces repel eachother).

I did a quick search here, but don't see a solution.
Thirdup

Re: Magnets Repel?

Post by Thirdup »

Resolved (that was fast).

Great support from NaturalPoint!
ergo

Post by ergo »

I've got the same issue - what was the answer from NaturalPoint?

I bought mine from a UK reseller and they have agreed to send me a tested replacement but if there was some fix for the problem that didn't invalidate the warranty (presumably inverting one of the magnets is the answer) then I'd prefer to do that so I could actually use the thing this weekend.

Not a great start to the whole 'TrackIR' experience :(
Doyal

Post by Doyal »

Another disappointed tir5 owner here from the UK. I have waited a few weeks for this to come in stock and cannot believe such a silly mistake has been made by Natural Point (quality control).

I am also interested in a DIY solution to flipping the magnets, as returning it to the reseller will take atleast a week and I was looking forward to playing with arma2 this weekend.

Regards,

Doyal.
JuMo

Post by JuMo »

Heehee.. this is kinda funny, in a way ;-). Sorry ..

Anyway, here's your DIY solution:

If you open the case of the TIR5, the magnet comes loose and you can reverse it. It's not glued in or anything, it just sits in a groove and is held in place by the two case halves.

The two halves of the camera case just snap together, if you carefully feel along the seam with your fingernails while very gently pushing the two halves apart, it opens quite easily. Be advised though that the magnet, if it falls out while you're fumbling around with the case, will unevitably hide in the darkest corner under your desk. Also the two clear plastic covers for the status LEDS *will* fall out and you will have to put them back in correctly again. Nothing else will fall out, the circuit board and cable are all securely seated in the back half of the case. There are no tiny cables, springs or other tiny bits that could break or fall out other than the magnet itself and those two clear plastic lenses. It's all quite easy to do if you're not too clumsy :-). Flip the magnet, put the two plastic thingies back in place and snap the two halves of the case together again.

The lower magnet is pressed or glued into the base, you can forget about that one.

I'm certain NaturalPoint will (correctly) object to this, as it will most likely void your warranty, but this is how you can flip the magnet.

Jumo (currently imagining Homer Simpson putting together TIR5 units for the UK)
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

[quote=JuMo]

I'm certain NaturalPoint will (correctly) object to this, as it will most likely void your warranty, but this is how you can flip the magnet.

[/quote]

You are correct, this will void the warranty.

Please contact your dealer, for a replacement base.
Doyal

Post by Doyal »

I guess I no longer have a warranty, just a working TrackIR! Whilst the TrackIR was open I gave the inside of the lens a clean (the large tinted one, not the camera) as it had a lot of glue/grease/gunk on it.

Thanks for your words JuMo, that was just what I wanted to hear before having a bash at opening it myself.

Kind Regards,

Doyal
ergo

Post by ergo »

Struggling to see the funny side, but I did have a thought that if Doyal and I got together there's a 50/50 chance we might have managed to get two working TrackIRs out of two faulty ones :)

Anyway, I'm going to wait for a replacement as based on my experience so far I don't want to be without a warranty.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

We are deeply embarrassed by the flipped magnets. We have quality control measures in place to prevent this from happening. We figured if it can happen, it will happen, so we have systems to prevent this. They obviously had weak points. We will of course replace any units with this problem. We have reviewed our methods and this should not happen again.

Yes, you can crack open the case and flip the magnet, but it is not recommended.

The glue that was found on the IR shield is there on purpose. It is to hold the foam light cut-off ring in place while the unit is assembled, but it should not be an excessive amount. We will investigate that as well.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.
kiffing

Post by kiffing »

I just got mine today and had the same problem. I flipped the magnet. I really didn't want to do it but I wasn't waiting another week for a new base. Just a suggestion they sell a gauge that shows magnetic polarity also just color the right side black and from then on out just have the color go a certain way.