Odd Connection Issue

Spellbot5000

Odd Connection Issue

Post by Spellbot5000 »

Just got my TrackIR 5 today and normally it's working flawlessly. I have encountered one connection issue though.

I first installed it and it worked great. Tried out the setup program as well as Arma 2 and everything was working as it should. I had to reposition the cable for the unit though because I had it tangled, but when I went replug in the USB cable, the device wasn't recognized. I then tried plugging it into the next USB port over. It then installed drivers for that port fine, and again the unit performed it's function properly. Testing a hunch though, I unplugged the cable and then replugged it back in. Again, the unit wasn't recognized and I was back to square one. So the problem seems to be that once drivers are installed for a particular USB port, if you unplug the TrackIR from that port at any time and try to plug it back in, the unit won't be recognized.

I even tried manually installing drivers for it through the Add New Hardware dialogue, and although the hardware installed, the unit did not actually work. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything, and that fixed it of course, but that's hardly an elegant solution for people that may need to unplug and replug stuff in on a regular basis.

Is this a known issue with beta 4 of the TrackIR software, or even with the unit itself? I'm curious if there's any solution outside of waiting for the next beta or the full 5.0 version. Till then, I certainly won't be unplugging the unit!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this is running XP Sp3, if that means anything in relation to the problem.
VincentG

Re: Odd Connection Issue

Post by VincentG »

Connected directly to the PC, or using a hub?

Latest motherboard bios, and USB drivers installed?

Have you tried turn off any kind of power save feature for your USB ports?

In the "Device Manager" you can right click the "USB Root Hub"(s), that show, and then select properties. On the power management tab, uncheck the box that allows the computer to turn off the USB port to save power (i.e. uncheck the box). Sometimes that has an impact on the connectivity of the devices.
Spellbot5000

Post by Spellbot5000 »

Yeah, it's connected directly to the PC, and I've got the latest BIOS and drivers. I'll try the power management idea though and see if that does anything.
Spellbot5000

Post by Spellbot5000 »

Yes, that did it! Changing the options so the USB Root Hubs stay powered has fixed the problem for me.

I must say, I've only been using the TrackIR for about a day, and reading the forums for just a bit longer, but you guys have excellent customer service. You're quick to respond and you always seem to solve most people problems pretty quickly. Naturalpoint, I demand Vincent be given a raise! Or maybe just take him out for pizza and a beer, whichever is more feasible.

Thanks again Vincent!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Glad to help out.