I love the TrackIR 5 great stuff but........

XysteR

I love the TrackIR 5 great stuff but........

Post by XysteR »

... i'm sorry to say i feel pretty miffed about my experience. Not with RC Simulations though, they were great!

I paid �150 for the TrackIR and Track Clip Pro. It arrived with a broken arm (packaging was 100% undamaged) on the Track clip pro. Then i thought, oh i'll just use the cap thing instead until i get a replacement sent out! I put the small base on the top left of the monitor and went to install the unit, nice! someone can't tell the difference between north & south magnetic fields lol. Anyway, I ultimately got these issues resolved by RC Simulations, these people were so helpful! i got replacement components the following day!

Now i've installed the latest (beta) software, plugged in the TrackIR, plugged in device, device was found and installed. The TrackIR device is on the left of my monitor and the track clip pro is installed on the left side of my headphones, angles of both devices are fine, i have no light sources or reflecting things behind me, yet when i run the software the orientation goes haywire and starts flashing all over the place. Then after a few minutes it calms down a bit and i find i can move around in all axis fine. I can run Arma2 and it'll play fine for a non fixed amount of time then it'll start flashing all over again. All default settings in the software but i have overwritten the profiles with the latest from the website.

How can a simple thing like a magnet orientation effect an item of such expense? I hear im far from alone with the issues i've experienced

Having seen how flimsy the 2 prongs are (bit with O ring between) that hold the boom arm to the track clip pro i'm constantly having to be ultra careful when i put my headphones down for fear of it snapping.

I do love the device when it works but given the issues i've experienced i sometimes wonder if my �150 was well spent.

Surely there must be a reason why it does this. I have tried lots of things to remedy the problem, the only one that i feel actually does something is if i change from precision to standard.

Someone suggested i try uninstalling the beta and install the lastest full v4?

Suggestions?
Seth Steiling

Re: I love the TrackIR 5 great stuff but........

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi XysteR,

I'm sorry that your experience has been so rocky to start with! This isn't typical, but I know that doesn't make it any less frustrating for you. It seems that you've encountered just about every possible problem that we've seen over the past month or so. We've taken steps to correct QA to prevent these problems, but unfortunately, some units did slip out of the door before we noticed.

I wouldn't revert to 4.x software unless absolutely necessary, as 5.0 is superior in both its optimization for TrackIR 5 and overall usability (in my opinion).

Can you provide some screen shots of the Camera View during times when the tracking destabilizes? A video capture would be even more helpful. If we can see what the camera is seeing during tracking, that should help us isolate possible problems.

BTW, changing the processing mode from Precision to Standard isn't a good solution, as it will degrade the camera's accuracy. Standard mode is reserved for the older TrackIR 4 technology. It will be much better in the long run if we can troubleshoot this with optimal settings in place, so you get the most back for you buck with TIR5's potential precision.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
XysteR

Re: I love the TrackIR 5 great stuff but........

Post by XysteR »

Thank you for the prompt reply and explaination. I will get stuck into it again this evening, i'll dig out the camcorder too, be a chance to use it. I'll post back later with info