TrackIR5 or OptiTrack

Lifeisabug

TrackIR5 or OptiTrack

Post by Lifeisabug »

Hi,
I am a software engineer working for a company, that develops medical surgery simulators. I stumbled on TrackIR searching for low-cost head tracking solutions.
The TrackIR5 camera seems to be a great option but I am confused about legal issues and access to the SDK.
As far as I understand TrackIR5 is meant for games and "simulators" only. Our product is 100% commercial and definitely a simulator: But it has nothing to do with gaming. It is meant for educational purposes. Is that a problem?
Also I don't know which SDK to use. The OptiTrack SDK seems to be compatible with TrackIR hardware. It seems to meet our demands, as we do not need 6 DoF. On the other hand, it might be a nice feature to add "official" support for TrackIR and the TrackClip.

I also looked at the OptiTrack products as they don't seem to be limited to gaming/simulation, but they are overkill for our fairly simple head tracking module.

So maybe you could tell me if TrackIR5 + OptiTrack SDK or TrackIR5 + TrackIR SDK would be the way to go, and also help me with the license issues.
I'd be happy about any feedback.

Cheers
Seth Steiling

Re: TrackIR5 or OptiTrack

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hello. Shoot me an email at seth @ naturalpoint.com and I'll walk you through it.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack