Head turn to the right = flipout.

bobdude11

Re: Head turn to the right = flipout.

Post by bobdude11 »

I just found this post - I created a duplicate report prior to seeing it.

I have the same issue - to the right and it wigs ... mine is Track IR 5 with Track Clip Pro and camera is mounted on the left side of my monitor.

It happens in FSX, LO: Flaming Cliffs 2 and the TRack IR software.

System specs:

Core i7 950
12 GB RAM
EVGA X58 SLI3 main board
EVGA GTX 480
Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Track IR software is 5.1.300 build 9945
Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS (stick and throttle)
Saitek rudder pedal

All of the associated software are patched to latest (TM Cougar, Saitek rudder pedals and Windows)

At first it was intermittent and I would be a couple of hours into the sims before it happened (when it did), now it seems to be happening more consistently and earlier.

What else can I provide to help you troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Robert Clark
Natural Point TrackIR fan - this is just a small bump in the road we need to smooth out.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

When this starts happening to you, would it be possible to switch to the TrackIR software, and check the camera view window? It would be helpful to know what's in there when the flipout is occuring.
mmtaraval

Post by mmtaraval »

Did anyone figure this one out? I have tried everything to no avail, I'm about to return mine for a new one.
patten

Post by patten »

same problem here !
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

hmm This will be difficult to describe in words...

The Track Clip Pro LED's shape a roughly triangular pattern, right?

Something like this -

[color:#000000]....[/color][color:#FF0000]o[/color]
[color:#000000]......[/color][color:#FF0000]o[/color]

[color:#000000]...[/color][color:#FF0000]o[/color]

I have seen this type of behavior when my track clip is too straight up and down according to the cameras view.

What I am suggesting is, try to rotate the track clip LED's slightly so that your 3 LED's describe a slightly triangular shape in the camera window. When they are too straight up and down, it doesn't track properly.

Does that make any sense?

Another thing to check is your Track Clip and Cameras Line of Sight angle.

Perhaps you could try adjusting the height of the camera to line up better with your track clip.

If there is too much downward angle from camera to track clip I could see the "flipout" issue happeneing.

I posted some pics on THIS THREAD showing how I lined up my units. I dunno if mine is a NaturalPoint sponsered method but I rarely have "flipout" issues with that configuration, and if I do, it's always a matter of rotating my track clip slightly so the camera "sees" a triangular shape.

Anyway, those are my observations put to words as best I could.
NaturalPoint - Mike

It's not the best solution, but if it works for you then by all means use it. The reason it's not the greatest solution is because the TrackIR software has to make assumptions about the distance between the TrackClip Pro and the base of your neck (which is where your head movement is centered). If you move the TrackClip Pro up a few inches, it will assume that the base of this motion is higher than it actually is, and may cause issues with specifically pitch (you may have some exaggerated movement on the z axis when doing this).

The "flipout" is generally a loss of a single marker or two markers merging together, which can generally be alleviated by repositioning the camera (or alternatively the clip as pictured above). It can also be caused in some circumstances by IR interference, which would need to be found and blocked. The camera view screen can help us identify movement issues or interference that may cause this kind of problem.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Mike]... the TrackIR software has to make assumptions about the distance between the TrackClip Pro and the base of your neck (which is where your head movement is centered). ... [/quote]

Intriguing, I never noticed reading about this anywhere in all these years ! Is it mentioned in a manual anywhere I missed?

Thanks for the tip. I have had very few issues with TrackIR working pretty much flawlessly from day 1. But now that you mention this I will have to go re-evaluate and see if I notice any difference.
NaturalPoint - Mike

It's not mentioned in the manual because it's not necessary to know for the function of the device, just an interesting side note.