Worked fine with TrackHat. Now crashes with TrackClip

GunSlingerAUS

Worked fine with TrackHat. Now crashes with TrackClip

Post by GunSlingerAUS »

Hey guys

The post says it all - my track IR 5 worked wonderfully with the TrackHat, but now that I've started using the TrackClip, I get an issue where the software stops responding after about 15 minutes of playing iRacing. It's all fine when I start, but shortly after starting the head tracking just stops moving - alt tabbing out and checking the TrackIR software shows it has frozen. This requires a reset of the program, which means I also have to reboot iRacing - obviously not desirable behaviour.

Please note that I use the TrackIR on the end of 2 x 7m powered USB cable extensions connected to a powered US hub, along with six other devices, all of which work perfectly. Like I said before, this exact same setup worked fine with the TrackHat - it's only with the TrackClip that it's started playing up.

Any ideas?
VincentG

Re: Worked fine with TrackHat. Now crashes with TrackClip

Post by VincentG »

Are you refering to the TrackClip, or the TrackClip Pro?

You said 2 - 7 meter cables, is that correct?
GunSlingerAUS

Post by GunSlingerAUS »

Oops, sorry for the misuse of terminology.

I've swapped from using the TrackClip (worked fine) to the TrackClip Pro (now software freezes).

It's all connected to my PC via 2 x 7 metre USB 2.0 Active Repeater cables.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

OK, couple of things -

7 meter active extension cables are technically out of USB specifications, as it is supposed to be a maximum distance of 5 meter cable length.

Is the TrackIR camera plugged into the TrackClip Pro, then that plugged into the PC?

Try separating them to separate USB connections.

Does the device work, if connected directly to the PC?
GunSlingerAUS

Post by GunSlingerAUS »

Hi Vincent

Actually, they're 5 metre cables - I was estimating when I said 7, but checked the receipt and they're indeed 5 metres.

The TrackClip Pro is plugged into the same USB port as the TrackIR unit, I'll try swapping them out now.
GunSlingerAUS

Post by GunSlingerAUS »

Ok, splitting out the TrackClip Pro to a seperate USB port to the TrackIR unit seems to have fixed the problem. It used to crash every 10 minutes - I've run it for about 5 hours now without a single crash. Thanks for the tip.