TrackIR 5 stopped working in FSX

Piotre

TrackIR 5 stopped working in FSX

Post by Piotre »

Hi all,

I have a problem with my TrackIR 5, which stopped working in FSX.
Sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search with FSX as keyword and came up empty?!?

About two weeks ago I first installed the camera and it worked out of the box for a quick test flight with no need to do anything on my part.
Then one day, it just didn't work. I exited FSX and restarted, and all was well again.
Now it has happened again, but the trick of restarting FSX hasn't worked anymore.

Everything looks the way it should be: the camera works properly in TrackIR software camera view, I get two green lights on the camera when FSX starts, and the lights turn red if I press F9, and turn back green when I press it again, but the view just sits there and does nothing.

I am using a Track Clip Pro, I have FSX patched to SP2, FSUIPC commercial, Windows Vista X64, a Saitek X52Pro, I'm running the latest drivers (5.1 beta 01) with default profiles, and the problem only happens with FSX: the camera works fine in all other supported games I have.

I haven't done anything special that I am aware of before it stopped working.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pietro.
Last edited by Piotre on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:44 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Added info
VincentG

Re: TrackIR 5 stopped working in FSX

Post by VincentG »

Any other addons installed for FSX?

Have you tried running both the TrackIR software, and the gaming application as an admin (right click on the exe file for each, and select run as admin)?
Piotre

Post by Piotre »

Yes, I have plenty of addons, as any other FSX user I guess ;).
The problem I have happens with default planes and scenery though. Is there a specific addon you have in mind?

I am the only user of my system and everything is run as admin. However, just in case, I've tried specifically running both Track IR and FSX as admin (right clicking on the exe file for each, and selecting run as admin as you suggested), but the problem persists.

I'd like to add some more info though.

I've checked the Settings/Controls/Views menu in FSX to see if I needed to manually add something, and I've noticed something strange: some view commands are duplicated, some even more then once, and some have a caret "^" in front of them. Like this:

I can't remember if this is normal in FSX or something that was added by Track IR. Should I delete the duplicate commands or are they needed by trackIR?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It wouldn't have been added by the IR software.

Any thing like active camera, or ezdoc installed for FSX?
Piotre

Post by Piotre »

No, the only addons I have are planes, scenery, and FSUIPC.
Plus some mesh, landclass and Ground Environment Extreme.
Rusty_

Post by Rusty_ »

Have you tried to use the "Update games" in TrackIR after the new installation? That did the trick for me ;)

But, still I had to restore previous TrackIR version because the problem with TrackIR Beta 1 and changing the key mapping away from function keys (F7, F9 and F12). Can't se any notise about this issue in Beta 2 either :(

(R)
Piotre

Post by Piotre »

Hi Rusty,
thanks for trying to help.

Do you mean the "check for game updates" option?
Yes I did but it reports everything is up to date.

You made me wonder though, because one of the things I did was update the drivers to 5.1 beta 1 (my first tests were with 5.0). Maybe I should roll back to the previous version? I've tried the new 5.1 beta 2 but still no joy.

Another thing: while reinstalling the drivers I was remembered of the option to install MSFS 2002 support. I had always elected not to because I have FSX. Is this something that should be selected anyway for FS to work?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

No the FS2002 is for FS2002 support only.

Have you looked at doing a repair install for FSX?
Piotre

Post by Piotre »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]Have you looked at doing a repair install for FSX?[/quote]

Not really, since FSX has always worked flawlessly: I've never had a crash and I'm happy with its performance.
I'm also loathe on reinstalling FSX because it will force me to reinstall a lot of addons.

Just in case, how would I go about doing the repair install? I wasn't aware of that option.

One other thing. I have now noticed that my camera (serial #152847) falls in the batch of defective products you are replacing. May this have something to do with my problem?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Piotre,

You should be able to confirm whether your unit is defective by looking at the Camera View within the TrackIR software. If it resembles any of the pictures in the following post, there is a good chance it will need to be replaced/repaired:

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... #Post45301

This behavior might not surface until after 5-15 minutes of use, or after a similar period of use followed by a software restart.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack