Can TrackIR5 work as a webam?

novoace

Can TrackIR5 work as a webam?

Post by novoace »

Hi all,

I'm looking for a "webcam" which could work at 120fps for resolution 640x480.

What I need is a camera that is connected to a PC running Windows (Linux would also be great) via USB and that it is possible to acquire video stream at above mentioned resolution.

Currently I'm using a regular Logitech webcam, with up to 30fps, but the response time is way to slow for my needs.

I came up across this cam but I'm not sure if it can be used as a regular webcam or not.

Thanks
Dusan
Seth Steiling

Re: Can TrackIR5 work as a webam?

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Dusan,

TrackIR does not stream full grayscale video, so it will not function as a webcam. However, we do have a camera in our OptiTrack line that might work for you--the V120:SLIM. It offers full grayscale (both raw and on-camera MJPEG compressed) at 640x480 resolution and 120 FPS. You can access the video via DirectShow filter or our free Camera SDK (the latter does require C++ programming capabilities).

The V120:SLIM also offers multiple camera synchronization (up to 24), IR and visible spectrum imaging (software controlled with the Filter Switcher addon), and several different on-camera processing options (MJPEG compression, object/segment marker tracking, selective grayscale marker tracking).

If you're interested in the V120:SLIM, you can find a few different configurations here:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/p ... v120-slim/

If you'd like to customize your camera in a way not shown on our website, you can call in to do so.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
novoace

Post by novoace »

Hello Seth,

Thanks for the info, that was my thought also about TrackIR but just wanted to double-check.

I'll definitely take a look at the other cam.

Regards
Dusan
killerwhale

Post by killerwhale »

is the camera capable of producing an image of your face?
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

killerwhale,

The TrackIR is not capable of producing an image of your face. It is not designed to work as a webcam.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager