Set default for pitch and roll

Share and exchange custom profiles for the TrackIR software.
seippg

Set default for pitch and roll

Post by seippg »

Hi all,

Is there a way to set a default setting for pitch and roll? I am running FSX and, essentially, all I want to do is look back and forth at the panel and locate where I am in relationship to the airport. So I don't need pitch and roll and I want to turn them off. I want to set them to a value that optimizes my view of the panel and just be able to pan my head around without losing that optimal setting.

Thanks,
Gregg
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Set default for pitch and roll

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

You can go to the advanced settings tab and actually disable axes that you don't want to use by unchecking the box next to them, here:

seippg

Post by seippg »

Yeah,

That's good, but not exactly what I need. What happens when I check those is that they go to zero and I can't adjust them at all. It doesn't work because I end up with a view that is at an angle that doesn't work...looking forward at the cockpit, unable to see the runway or worse. The problem is worse because, even though they are disabled, Track IR still overrides any effort to adjust the eyepoint so FSX won't let me adjust them unless I shut Track IR off. What would be cool would be able to either:

1. Have them stay where they are when I click to turn them off (this is MUCH preferred.) or
2. Have them revert to a default value that I set (like if I turn it off, it reverts to a value in an edit control).

Point 1 above is, sort of, the ability to pause an axis. You set your view and then press a button to pause the pitch and then pitch locks leaving Yaw enabled to look around. The point is this: all flight simulators have a very important viewpoint which is the 'pilot control view' that you always have to get back to in order to control the plane...a view of the outside as well as a view of the controls. You have to get back to it fast. In my case I'd pause everything except Yaw (pause pitch, roll, X, Y and Z), eliminating all the less important axis and variables so that I could get back to it fast. This would ensure that, if I do look around, it is easy to get my 'pilot control view' back in a hurry, like I would if I was in a real plane. This would make Track IR vastly more effective in flight sim, reducing/simplifying set up time, enabling faster reactions, letting you focus more on being in the sim instead of worrying about whether or not you'll be able to get your critical view back.

Thanks,
Gregg
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

There's no real way to disable an axis on the fly while leaving the others on. The closest you could come would be to look down at the panel and pause with f9 (or other associated key), but this would disable all axes, albeit in place.
seippg

Post by seippg »

Ok. Well, I do like the ability to freeze with the f9 key...that does help. If the TrackIR software is enhanced, it might be worthwhile to consider some other options for flexibility...

1) Ability to set a default value if an individual axis is turned off (e.g. +5, -5, etc.)
2) Optional hotkeys to turn off specific axis.

Truly, I like the ability to turn off an axis but the zero value doesn't make it very useful.