Profile Exchange Thread

Share and exchange custom profiles for the TrackIR software.
VincentG

Profile Exchange Thread

Post by VincentG »

This thread is dedicated for TrackIR users to share your preferred profiles. Please indicate the Hardware and Software version you are uploading a profile for, as well as the associated game/genre, if applicable.

Upload profile files to the thread by creating a reply post and using the "File Manager."

Install posted profiles to your computer by saving the .xml file to your "Profiles" directory where your TrackIR software is installed. Note that files in zipped folders will need to be extracted before you can place them in the Profiles folder.

Attached below are collections of past user-submitted profiles for TrackIR software versions 3.13 and 4.x. Version 4.x profiles can be loaded into the 5.0 software, but they will not be 100% identical, as profiles are now structured slightly differently.
Attachments
FS2004-Optimized_Flight.xml
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 4768 times
ALLv4-20060807.zip
For use with TrackIR version 4/5 software only
(5.28 KiB) Downloaded 5160 times
ALLv3-march152005.zip
For TrackIR software version 3.13 Software :: (or earlier)
(8.87 KiB) Downloaded 1728 times
Seth Steiling

I'll get the ball rolling...

Post by Seth Steiling »

Here are some profiles that I use when "testing" here at the office. :)

"Seth - FPS"
Hardware: TrackIR 5
Software Version: 5.0
Speed: 1
Smoothing: 7-9 (if using w/ TrackIR 4, probably around 30)

My preferred profile for tactical shooters like ArmA 2. It utilizes stronger dead zones to ensure that my view does not drift when I'm aiming. Once outside of the dead zones, the motion is slightly aggressive, enabling me to snap my view as needed. View limits are employed to keep my view from going too far when I'm trying to quickly check my surroundings.

I implemented view limits both with the checkbox (Pitch view limit value was edited in .xml from 180 to 135) and graphical limitations. The checkbox limits are simpler to create and provide a more abrupt limitation, but I like using the graph to limit my X axis, because it allows me to make the motion a bit more subtle as it approaches the limit.

In ArmA 2, I would probably uncheck the Z axis, as I prefer to control my zoom with my mouse. It�s left activated by default, though.

---------------------------------------------

"Seth - Flight"
Hardware: TrackIR 5
Software Version: 5.0
Speed: 1
Smoothing: 10 (if using w/ TrackIR 4, probably around 30)

This is a much smoother profile than FPS. It has very limited dead zones and view limits, and employs more consistent motion throughout movements. The results are less snappy than FPS, but also a bit gentler. When I'm flying in FSX, I don't care so much about determining what's approaching my flank right now. Instead, I like to leisurely soak up my environment. This profile is much better suited for that play style, IMO.
Attachments
Seth - Flight.xml
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 29002 times
Seth - FPS.xml
(5.28 KiB) Downloaded 10318 times
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
BigRed

Re: I'll get the ball rolling...

Post by BigRed »

Anyone got a good Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising profile?? (Maybe one of you dev guys have got it to support head tracking when on foot?)
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Unfortunately, the different areas that the TrackIR can be used in are determined by the developer, and is somewhat out of our control.
infirebaptize

Post by infirebaptize »

Hi Seth,
I like your FPS profile and i'm using it with arma2. I would like to increase the deadzone on leaning, how do i go about doing that?

Thank you.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

You can either move the points on the bottom of the graph out more, or move more of the upper points down towards the bottom of the graph
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (8.75 KiB) Viewed 96971 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (13.91 KiB) Viewed 98286 times
gqlf

Post by gqlf »

I tried to download profiles but I get this:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Users/John/AppData/...

help!
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

If you just left click on the download link, it will try to open the .xml file in your browser, which will give you that error. To install the profile, right click the link, and save it to Program Files/NaturalPoint/TrackIR5/Profiles.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Gpruitt54

Re: Profile Exchange Thread

Post by Gpruitt54 »

What are these "Profiles"?
Does the application rely on profiles?
I have a saitek x52, it uses profiles and they don't always work. In fact, I get more use from the stick-n-throttle without the use of the profiles.

How tied to the profiles is this product? Can it be used effectively without the profiles, or is the product useless without the profiles?

Been strongly considering buying one of these, but the issue of profiles concerns me.
VincentG

Re: Profile Exchange Thread

Post by VincentG »

Profiles are a collection of settings (motion curves, hotkeys, axis enabling/disabling, etc.) that enable you to optimize TrackIR according to game conditions and personal preferences. Primarily, profiles control how your actual head movement is converted into in-game view control.

The TrackIR ships with some default profiles which have been tuned to perform well for a wide variety of games and simulations. The default profile provides a good starting point for customizing the motion to suit your needs as you become more familiar with using TrackIR.

Optimized for the broadest range of genres and game play styles. It has a fairly strong dead zone to prevent unintended head movements from being tracked. It is more scalable than the Smooth profile, lending itself well to broad adjustments with the Speed slider.

Smooth
Similar to the Default profile, but with a very minimal dead zone and more even motion scaling across all axes. More ideal for flight and racing than first-person.

One:One
All axes are unscaled, giving an exact 1:1 ratio between actual and in-game head movement. This profile is included more for testing and comparison purposes than in-game use, though it might be appropriate in some simulation or gaming situations.