LED Lights?

koneal

LED Lights?

Post by koneal »

So, another question... the LED lights on the control system on the VCS... only one per side ever seems to be on, do we have control on these, i.e. can I force one on/off to display context sensitive info?

Thanks,
Kevin @ Ubisoft
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: LED Lights?

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello Kevin -

Just to let you know, I have forwarded your questions, and should be getting an answer for you shortly.
morgan
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by morgan »

Hey Kevin,

On the LED's - currenty these are not exposed to Python. If you need this let support know and we'll add it to the feature request list for the next version.

Morgan
koneal

Post by koneal »

Thanks for the reply, I'll do that. (I assume I email support@naturalpoint.com?) You mention not exposed to python... do you guys use boost to expose the functionality of the plugin via python?

Currently I've only found access to the properties associated with the plugin via the standard PropertyList. However this doesn't let me set UI information such as Licensing radio buttons, assign the rigid body object, Joystick configs (load/save), or create a model binding for the camera. I started looking into accessing it from ctypes, but if you guys boost that functionality, I'd say that would be way easier... :-)

Thanks!
Kevin
morgan
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by morgan »

We've looked into different methods for exposing native plugin functions to Python but have had issues getting standard support across compilers, boost libs, and mobu/python versions, so it gets complex quickly when supporting multiple platforms (x86/x64) and versions (mobu 7.5 thru 2012).

Long story short - this is an open feature request we hope to support in the next version of the plugin. Please contact support on this and let them know your your level of interest for this feature.

Also - we'll be demoing the VCS system at SIGGRAPH 2011 so if you're attending come by and visit us and we can talk more about the features your looking for here and some ways we can get them implemented.

Morgan
koneal

Post by koneal »

I put it into my requests that I've mailed off to support. It's pretty much a number one request to be able to automate the setup of the plugin.

We use boost on our end for the plugins we've written, but we're only usually supporting 1 platform, maybe 2 depending on the game teams. :-) So a little less complex indeed. I've been checking ctypes to see if that'll work, but haven't had much success yet. Have you seen anybody working that way yet?

We are sending someone out to siggraph, but only 1 this year from mocap. I'll make sure he stops by to chat.

Cheers,
Kevin
morgan
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by morgan »

Hey Kevin,

RE ctypes not currently, no.

Agree on the ability to script functionlatiy of the plugin. Would be nice if this were made a bit easier by mobu / ORSDK.

As an alternate path, if you guys have C/C++ devs there and want to roll your own native plugin we can look at providing you with the code library for accesing the VCS controllers. Again contact support on this.

Morgan
koneal

Post by koneal »

Thanks for the reply, after a little more checking on the ctypes, it`s a no-go, the functions for the UI controls from MoBu aren`t exported in the code to be able to access them. I can only see NatNetClient/Helper calls.

I`ll ping support about your second comment. That`s a pretty cool offer, we have no need to rewrite the entire thing, just to extend it so that we can plug it a bit more seamlessly into our pipeline.

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Kevin