GetObjectData

leith

GetObjectData

Post by leith »

Just a question/thought.

When using the optitrack SDK with a .net language (c# for example), the tlb importer ends up turning the GetObjectData method call into something like:

Code: Select all

int ret = camFrame.GetObjectData(ref byteBuffer[0], buffSize);
point being, it asks for a ref to a byte rather than a ref to a byte array. When it comes to pure C code, I understand there's really no difference, but at a COM level, there really is. I'm wondering if it might be worth revising the COM interface so that it asks for the right object type, a byte array, rather than the first member. That way, the auto-magical type marshalling of COM and the appropriate client languages will take care of the issue directly.

In the meantime, I'm going to push through with c# "unsafe" code and some marshalling attributes and hopefully I'll figure out how to get this to work without the change. If anyone has any useful info on how to hack c# to use this method in its current state, info would be much appreciated.
beckdo

Re: GetObjectData

Post by beckdo »

Thanks for the heads-up, Brad. We will look into this.
leith

Post by leith »

okay, this one is officially driving me nuts.

I've tried allocating a byte array and passing it through that ref a number of ways and none of them appear to be working.

my latest:

public static int DoFrameDump(INPCameraFrame camFrame)
        {            
            int ret = 0;
            unsafe
            {
                byte* secbuff = stackalloc byte[4096];

ret = camFrame.GetObjectData(ref secbuff[0], 4096);
                for (int c = 0; c < ret; c++)
                {
                    System.Console.WriteLine(ret);
                }

}
            return ret;
        }
I figure this one should be foolproof. But none the less, the byte array remains filled with nothing but 0s (I'm in a debugger so the fact that its initialized to 0 doesn't phase me). I've been checking by putting a breakpoint on the WriteLine statement and then looking through the byte array with the debugger.

I've also tried an alternate method that used this struct:

public unsafe struct buffStruct
        {
            public fixed byte buff[buffSize];
        }
        public const int buffSize = 4096;
anyhow, the fixed keyword in combination with an unsafe keyword should allow me to pass the first byte into the ref parameter. And it does. Both of these solutions compile and run. But neither returns me any data in the byte arrays other than 0s.

So... do you guys have any .net code (any .net language will do) that uses this method?
leith

Post by leith »

Been a LONG time. My day job has gotten in the way.

Anyhow, resurrected my codebase, gave this another go, and its working fine in the latest SDK.

Great news :)

However, I've noticed a behavior change.

Now that I'm getting my frames this way, the frame ID numbers don't match anymore. Any frame I get from any camera, comes in with a frame ID number different from the prior frame. So you can't use the IDs to automatically group sync'd frames anymore.

This leaves me with the timestamp as the best sync option. However, this wont work across computers the way the frame ID used to (or at least as I remember it working). As I understand it, the timestamp is based on a high resolution timer on the computer, rather than in the camera system.

So, a general query: In this mode, what is the best way to sync cameras that are connected to different machines? My understanding was that you could have cameras on different computers, but as long as you looped the sync through all the cameras, you'd be able to sync.
Birch

Post by Birch »

Brad,

Are you using 1.3.037 Beta 1?

Is your app seeing the new 24 bit Frame ID?

Whats your test setup for checking the Frame IDs? How many cameras? All V100s?

If the new 24 bit Frame ID's aren't coming out right we will need to take a closer look.
brunoleos

Post by brunoleos »

Hi people,

I'm also trying to use NPCameraFrame.GetObjectData() with .NET language (C#). With Brad example I could get the array of bytes from the objects captured by the camera, but I don't know how to deserialize it to NPObject objects.

I tryed using System.Runtime.Serialization, as in the code below, but I got an error that says the bynary stream isn't in a correct binary format:

NPObject[] t_oObj = new NPObject[t_oFrame.Count];             
BinaryFormatter b = new BinaryFormatter();
int ret = 0;
int size = 4096;
byte[] bbuffer = new byte[size];

ret = t_oFrame.GetObjectData(ref bbuffer[0], size);

Stream s = new MemoryStream(bbuffer);

if (ret != 0)
{
    t_oObj = (NPObject[])b.Deserialize(s);
    System.Diagnostics.Trace.WriteLine(t_oObj[0].X);
}
Any sugestion?

Thanks!
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

I'm not sure why you're not able to inspect the binary data you're receiving, but once you overcome that, the GetObjectData basically returns the following structure one after the next:

struct sCameraObject
{
float X;
float Y;
int Width;
int Height;
int Area;
int Rank;
int Score;
};

Good luck