Question about optitrack SDK and trackir software

Heero

Question about optitrack SDK and trackir software

Post by Heero »

I all,

I try to develop a little software using a trackir4 camera. So I have tested the SDK�s samples.

And now I have a very simple question. Why the �Optitrack Sample App.exe� cannot simultaneously work with the trackir.exe software? I have to stop the trackir.exe software and after that I can launch the �Optitrack Sample App.exe�. If I don�t stop the trackir.exe the �Optitrack Sample App.exe� doesn�t work.

And that�s a problem because I want use my personal profiles (create in the trackir.exe application) with my software.

Is there a way to solve this issue? Thanks a lot ! And sorry for this dummy question.
Seth Steiling

Re: Question about optitrack SDK and trackir software

Post by Seth Steiling »

The TrackIR camera can only be acquired by a single application at once, so whichever one you launch first will lock it up. However, if you want to utilize your pre-existing TrackIR profiles, you should be able to access them without running trackir.exe. All of the profiles are saved in ProgramFiles/NaturalPoint/TrackIR5/Profiles as .xml files. So, you can either manually copy them into your own app folder or load them from their existing folder with your application.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Heero

Post by Heero »

Thanks for your quick answer!

Just one more question. I often play "Lock on" or others simulators, and I don�t have to stop the trackir.exe to use the trackir? Why?

oh by the way ! i'm fond of the trackir camera !! :grin:
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

TrackIR Enhanced games (like Lock On) utilize the TrackIR SDK to be able to take in data from the TrackIR application (trackir.exe). They are designed to work in concert with it, but they do not actually connect to the camera directly, so they don't compete with trackir.exe for its attention.

If you create your own application, using the OptiTrack SDK, it has a different API than the TrackIR application utilizes. The camera can only send data over one at a time. So, it's assigned to whichever API it hooks into first (TrackIR or OptiTrack).

In short (from my non-technical understanding)...

If using the TrackIR application:
TrackIR camera ==> trackir.exe ==> TrackIR API ==> TrackIR Enhanced application (Lock On, etc.)

If using your own application built with the OptiTrack SDK:
TrackIR camera ==> OptiTrack API ==> your client app

Both of these cannot coexist simultaneously.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Heero

Post by Heero »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Seth]TrackIR Enhanced games (like Lock On) utilize the TrackIR SDK to be able to take in data from the TrackIR application (trackir.exe). They are designed to work in concert with it, but they do not actually connect to the camera directly, so they don't compete with trackir.exe for its attention.

If you create your own application, using the OptiTrack SDK, it has a different API than the TrackIR application utilizes. The camera can only send data over one at a time. So, it's assigned to whichever API it hooks into first (TrackIR or OptiTrack).
[/quote]

A perfect explanation... no need non-technical understanding ;)

Thanks !
Heero

Post by Heero »

Hi,

So, now, the trackir works ! Today i would like to have some explanations on the trackir profiles files.

Particulary the curvedata (p0, p1...p14).

For example this curvedata :

How it's work ? What is correspondence between the p0="57" and the angle returns by the track ir ? Is there a document somewhere which explain that ?

Thanks a lot !!