External trigger for synchronizing to custome DAQ

dashesy

External trigger for synchronizing to custome DAQ

Post by dashesy »

Is it possible to use an external signal generator that can generate an active low/high signals of given duration to trigger V100R2 camera frame captures? My goal is to synchronize frame capture to my DAQ, and my DAQ can generate any analog output that is needed.
Do I need OptiHub even if I want to derive a single camera?
I am more specifically looking for the specs on the external synch through wire (to the camera).
Also probably I need to call some SDK function to change the default isochronous/free-running mode to externally triggered mode, but I do not know how if possible (IOW how can I set SyncInputSourceSyncExternalRisingEdge for my only camera).

Any help on this is appreciated.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: External trigger for synchronizing to custome DAQ

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

You can do this, but yes, you need a synchronization device. V100/V100R2/V120:Slim cameras will require an OptiHub. S250e/Prime 41 cameras will require an eSync, and V120 Duo/Trio devices have them built in to the I/O-X already, so no extra hardware is required there.

You can set the input to any variety of signal/decimation rates to meet your needs within the camera's frame rate range. More information can be found in the Tracking Tools Manual or the OptiHub User Guide.

There is no way to synchronize without one of these units, as the signal that goes into the sync in/out carries more than just the frame timing. An external synchronization device is required to translate the pulse to something the camera can use.
dashesy

Post by dashesy »

Thanks for the information, I think I should get an OptiHub then, but I was wondering if the specs for sync in is available to the public.
Once we are at it, when I have OptiHub, do I need to use ApplySyncSettings in the SDK to make camera use the external synch?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Yes, you will need to adjust all of your sync in the SDK. The Optihub users guide linked above should be a good reference for mapping functions.