Setting and understanding framerates V120

LamarLatrell

Re: Setting and understanding framerates V120

Post by LamarLatrell »

We would like to get you on a remote desktop session or on the phone. Could I have you submit a ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com with your contact details?
Did last night, but it looks like I've lost you guys for the weekend :)

I've got some work coming up next week that will probably make it hard to do be in contact at any given time.

Perhaps with enough notice I can arrange time off in the morning here (Eastern Australia) - which would be your afternoon.

At the moment I've found the vsync setting for the graphics card but there is no change in the loop rate when I force it off for all applications.

Really keen to get this sorted, it's becoming a bit of a hold up in the project - once I know what is possible I can move on without having to think about improving it.
LamarLatrell

Post by LamarLatrell »

Hi Dustin and Doug

Ok, I've done a complete timing run down of every line in my loop for your sample and both my openCV basic loop and also DLIB (another great vision processing library).

Discovered in all three cases that the timing hit occurs in the line where the image is displayed to screen. Removing this, I will see 120 fps (finally!)

As I don't strictly require this in the final application. It good for debugging, but ~70fps is fine for that (although it will mean any low pass filtering of input and output signals wont be so easy to 'eyeball')

Also, not sure what I did wrong but the rasterize period now shows up as 0.5~0.7ms and not 2ms as found in the last post, so my mac has caught up with yours :mrgreen:

I'm thinking of trying threads, one running the loop as fast as possible, but another displaying every 4th frame or so - need to read up on mutex/etc. and think about frame access issues first - will be interesting if it works

Thanks for your patience.
LamarLatrell

Post by LamarLatrell »

Quick update: got this working now with threads - one loop running the camera capture and processing at 120fps (woohoo!) and another taking a frame for the screen as fast as it can (63fps or so...

Very good :D