VS2015 version of Camera SDK

mliem

VS2015 version of Camera SDK

Post by mliem »

I was wondering if there is any plan to make a VS2015 version of the Camera SDK. We have converted our codebase to the VS2015 compiler in order to be able to use the new C++11 and C++14 features available in this compiler. Unfortunately, since the Camera SDK is C++ based, it requires the VS2013 (MSVCRT120) runtimes to run. Our own code uses the VS2015 (MSVC140) runtimes. Mixing different C++ runtimes usually is a bad idea and bound to give unpredictable memory-management-based issues.

In our case, we experience a lot of crashes related to the CameraLibrary dll, especially when connecting and disconnecting from the cameras. We use the latest VS2013 cameralibrary dll provided by naturalpoint. It turns out that the behavior is unpredictable when it is used in VS2015 code. When using the same code in our old VS2010 version of the software (with the VS2010 cameralibrary) there were no issues.

It is very nice that you offer the SDK as a C++ interface, simplifying usage, but when it is not updated to new releases of the C++ runtime, we might need to consider a different camera manufacturer that can offer up-to-date libraries.
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: VS2015 version of Camera SDK

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello mliem,

Thank you for reaching out to the community regarding your experience.
We have not started the migration of our development environment beyond 2013, so we are not able to provide a projection for this.

We do not expect any issues with instability when using the VS2013 binaries with your VS2015 solution; several other users have used similar setups. If you could create a simple project that demonstrates any issues you are experiencing, we would be happy to review it.

If you would like to troubleshoot with us further, please feel free to reach out to us at help.naturalpoint.com with any files you are able to share.

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
lpc

Post by lpc »

Hi milem,

We encounter exactly the same issue as Steven with our product. Since latest release, we have random freezing, and sometimes it also block the Visual Studio 2015 debugger. When it happens, the only solution then is to reboot the computer.

When I say reboot, I mean hard-reboot, because the Optitrack driver seems to break so much the operating system that the latter can't shutdown. Maybe adding a C wrapper around your C++ library will avoid CRT issues for newer version of MS compiler.

We will greatly appreciate any help for this issue.

Best regards,
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi All,

Thank you for your continued feedback regarding this issue.
I do have an update regarding the Camera SDK.

When we release Motive 1.11, we will be releasing an updated Camera SDK that will include support for VS2015. Currently, we are looking at a tentative release around March.

I am sorry we do not have anything available for VS2015 now, but this should be coming soon.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer