Maximum greyscale frame rate

andrewrh

Maximum greyscale frame rate

Post by andrewrh »

Hi,

What is the maximum greyscale frame-rate I can get with the SDK and Prime 13?

I did a test and it's currently running at only 17fps and using ~180Mbps of the Gige connection...There is only 1 camera connected.

I've checked the cables, tried many things in the SDK but the speed doesn't improve. I also tried MJPEG mode, and this does run much faster, but the lower resolution isn't suitable for us.

Another question - I saw the MJPEGPreview mode in the SDK - what is the difference between this and normal MJPEG mode?

Also, the Video mode which uses H.264 - is this possibly a way to get full resolution and a higher frame rate? Ideally though we would like uncompressed greyscale as this will be the highest quality, and we will have plenty of network bandwidth left.

Thanks,
MPPT

Re: Maximum greyscale frame rate

Post by MPPT »

Hi,

we are currently considering the Prime41 and Prime17w for app development. We are also interested in the frame rates of thosed cameras when streaming uncompressed grayscale images.

Thank you,
Best,
M
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Maximum greyscale frame rate

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi andrewrh,

Thank you for reaching out to the community. Although we have been working with you in your open Support ticket, I wanted to share the information here as well.

Raw greyscale is a substantial data load on any network, and this is amplified by the number of cameras in the system. If you are working with only one camera, a frame rate of 17Hz is to be expected and is actually on the higher end of what we would see.

This is a limitation of the cameras and the library that drives them. We never intended for users to push full resolution, raw video, at any substantial rates. All of our cameras are the same in this regard. With higher resolutions and better quality come longer delays.

There is no difference between MJPEGPreview and its normal variant. MJPEGPreview will be deprecated in the next release, so it would be best to avoid using this method.
You can try other methods of image compression, though we do not have any information on how much this will improve the timing.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to continue working with us through your Support ticket.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com