camera calibration using SDK

suhl79

camera calibration using SDK

Post by suhl79 »

Hello

Are there any plans on providing some camera calibration procedures in the next realease of SDK?
Maybe some methods we could use for light calibration and focusing? If not, are there any materials You could provide for reading about this topics?

Is it also possible to get some kind of sensitivity response charts for the imager of the V120 camera? I work on the project of laser dot tracking, and I'm wondering to know which laser diode suits the best. I suppose it's 850nm, but my plans are to use longer wave length and don't know where are the limits.

Thanks.
VincentG

Re: camera calibration using SDK

Post by VincentG »

Are you refering to camera calibration setup for combining them into a capture volume?
suhl79

Post by suhl79 »

I'm just thinking about background light calibration. For example I could instruct the software to track two objects, and run some calibration procedure to measure background light and set the exposure value to the best available for tracking this two objects. As long as we cannot use direct drive/video drive lenses with auto iris feature it could be helpfull to use "auto exposure" instead. What do You think about this idea?

suhl
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It is something we are currently looking into.
suhl79

Post by suhl79 »

I'm very happy to hear that. But as for now could you give me some advice on using manual iris lens over setting exposure level using SDK? I mean, what method should I use when my lens has manual iris feature. Should I left it full open and calibrate the light level using exposure parameter, or should I do it the other way around? Does the exposure level has any influence on 'frame rate resolution'? I mean if the exposure time is long enough to let more light in, is it possible that this time is longer than for example 8.33ms (with V120 slim fastest frame rate)?

Thanks.
Birch

Post by Birch »

For our own applications we try to find optimal settings which exclude as much background light as possible while still yielding good tracking of our intended object, and then set those as a fixed default (user adjustable). That allows us to avoid run-time light level calibration which can be challenging to implement reliably. Another part of that approach is using the in-camera blocking feature to mask out unwanted stationary light sources.

If you want to implement your own background lighting calibration then we recommend trying to keep the threshold in the 150-230 range and keeping the exposure relatively low (long exposure times increase smearing of the tracked object). The exposure setting won't affect frame rate as long as its kept at 479 or lower.

We can get imager response data for you if you know the wavelength(s) you might want to use.