How does SetAGC work?

suhl79

How does SetAGC work?

Post by suhl79 »

Hi

I'm wondering what should I be aware of when I disable AGC mode?
What's the purpose of this method? Does it adjust Threshold value like AEC does for exposure or is it designed for something else?

Thanks
Konrad
beckdo

Re: How does SetAGC work?

Post by beckdo »

Hey Konrad,

AGC is disabled by default. When enabled on devices that support it, the imager will boost it's output so that it's pixel intensities scale to the entire dynamic range of pixel values.

So, for example, if the camera is looking at an scene that is washed out. Say it's pixel intensities over the entire image range from say 50-150. Turning AGC on will tend to drive pixel intensities to spread the entire range of 0-255. This is nice because it will make the image appear brighter and with more contrast. This is a digital process so it will tend to make the image 'noisier'. Threshold and all other settings will remain the same, but since the pixel intensities have changes it will give the appearance that the object threshold has changed.

I would recommend you only use this for grayscale or MJPEG video modes.
suhl79

Re: How does SetAGC work?

Post by suhl79 »

Doug,

Thanks to your explanationt the idea of AGC seems to be clear now.
Another technical question is about SetExposure and SetThreshold methods. How long does it take (in ms) for camera to stabilize for new values and produce new frame which is for sure acquired with new parameters? I write my own light calibration methods and need to properly tune the delay as SDK methods were originaly designed to be non blocking methods - which is good of course. My camera of choice is V120:slim.

Kind regards
Konrad