forums.naturalpoint.com

Discussion and Support for the OptiTrack, SmartNav and TrackIR brands by NaturalPoint

Motive documentation wiki

by Birch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:03 am

You can find documentation related to Motive on our support and documentation wiki.

Please let us know if you have feedback or suggestions regarding the documentation on that site.
Birch
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

by DonBurroni » Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 am

could do with an extensive troubleshooting section.
DonBurroni

by manphib » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:18 pm

Is there any documentation anywhere for troubleshooting? I'm getting a bunch of camera errors and I can't find any solutions anywhere.

Dropped Frame
Aggregation Overflow

Can't see markers on the 3D view.

This is the first time I've used this system, but have worked with other Motion Capture software/hardware.

There is no place to look up these issues.
manphib

by steven.andrews » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Hello manphib,

There could be different steps involved depending on the hardware and software you are using. If could please submit a ticket at help.naturalpoint.com we would be happy to help find a solution.

Cheers,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

by ACESKG » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:17 am

As I am new to this product I find the documentation and tutorials are very poor in comparison to others. The video ones are variable in quality (one has very low sound) and there should be a full range. I teach international MA students in a UK University and they are a very poor advert for your product.
ACESKG

by steven.andrews » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:48 am

Hello ACESKG,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the state of our documentation.

We completely agree that our documentation is in much need of some love. The difficult truth we face right now is that we are pushing hard to make some invaluable improvements to our software. While this is taking place, it has been difficult to keep documentation up with Motive due to changes both current and foreseen.

Documentation is something we are working to improve. We would love to provide users with the information they find most useful in answering their questions and troubleshooting their problems.

If anyone has any questions or issues in the meantime, we are happy to help and never turn down a question sent through our support channels.

Best regards,
Steven
---
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

by susanmary048 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:26 am

Great Post Thanks for sharing.
susanmary048

by filwit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi folks, I'm using the Motive API and came across a rather confusing part of the documentation in the code examples for TT_RigidBodySettings and TT_SetRigidBodySettings.

• It's unclear why a custom cRigidBodySettings constructor is needed. There is no explanation given for why no default constructor exists in the NPTrackingTools.lib, or what purpose providing your own constructor serves. I can only assume it was intended to be used to set app-specific RigidBody property defaults.
  • Without a default constructor, the state of an cRigidBodySettings instance is undefined. Which means you must fist initialize the instance via TT_RigidBodySettings. Or, to explicitly set each member of the cRigidBodySettings instance.. but even then you'd still normally need to use TT_RigidBodySettings in order to load the corresponding mName/UserData/etc of the RigidBody you're trying to configure. All of which kinda destroys my original assumption about the purpose of not providing a default constructor in the Motive API.
  • The code example for TT_SetRigidBodySettings is especially confusing because the integer rbcount is being declared before the constructor, but used in the code after it. The example code seems to depict a scenario where the for-loop appears directly after the constructor, which is obviously not something that would compile. And calling TT_RigidBodyCount in global scope prior to TT_Initialize probably wouldn't do anything useful either. Is that code a "typo"?

So I'm curious, why is no default constructor included for cRigidBodySettings?

Unless I'm missing something obvious, I would recommend improving the code examples on that part of the API to be more clear about why no default constructor exists, what purpose making your own serves, and where to define it. Ideally it would be nice to have a default constructor included in the NPTrackingTools libs.
filwit

Return to Motive