A billion kids and Motive

evengi

A billion kids and Motive

Post by evengi »

In Troms� in Norway I sat up my mocap studio during their children festival "verdens beste".

The idea was to have the kids come by, suit up and controle monsters live on a screen with their own body movement.
The festival leader was inspired by a mocap experiment I did earlier with my daughter:
Post on Optitrack forum

To manage so many kids in different sizes, we had to use an elastick and sticky fabric, not unlike the velcro. We made bands that we strapped around their arms, legs etc.
Then the ease of motive characterisation helped me get the definitons ready quick. This was great as it is hard to tell a kid to stay still for more than 10 seconds.
I streamed the kids to Motionbuilder where they controlled different monsters.

I was lucky to get the X marker from optitrack, as the standard round ones has a tendency to break when they get rough handling. During the entire event, that lastet four days, not a singel marker got broken.
[img:center]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/138 ... arkers.jpg[/img]

Funfact?:
I think this might have been the farthest North any mocap studio has ever been? Troms� is at
longitude: 18� 55' 18'' E
latitude: 69� 40' 53'' N

Article video from local news in Norwegian:
(they're older and wear the standard suits)
Local newspaper video
Seth Steiling

Re: A billion kids and Motive

Post by Seth Steiling »

Awesome! Thanks for the report. We got a lot of laughs out of your last video. :-)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
ml-7

Post by ml-7 »

Hi,
I am planning to support some MoCap recordings of kids for medical use.
Is Motive:Body with typical e.g. Baseline markerset supports kids recording?
The skeleton calibration will cope with "small height" person?
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi ml-7,

Unfortunately, our Skeleton solver will currently not allow you to capture children. This may depend on size; older children may fall within the size limitations, but it will not be possible to generate a Skeleton for smaller children.

If you do not require realtime feedback and only need marker data, you could track the children without generating a Skeleton. This will require some extra work, since the markers will need to be labeled manually while in Edit mode. You can use a MarkerSet to achieve this.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
bsteagal

Post by bsteagal »

Hi Steven

What would be the size limitation for captures in Motive? I think this would be an interesting fact to know

Thanks!
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi Bryan,

Currently, if the height is less than 50cm or greater than 3m the skeleton creation will fail. We have not been able to test with kids, however, so we are not sure what the result will be if you do capture a smaller skeleton. We believe some of the joints will not scale correctly.

If you are only capturing children, you could try tricking the system into believing they are bigger than they are. This would be done by setting Motive's calibration settings to use a 250mm wand, but physically waving with a 500mm wand. The marker data would be twice the scale and may allow you to create the skeleton correctly. You would just need to be mindful that the size of all data is double what it should be when you use it.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
bsteagal

Post by bsteagal »

Thank you Steven! that is less than 2 feet, so I don't think there's any problem then capturing kids, toddlers, maybe..

And good tip about the wanding, I had heard of something like that, but wasn't quite sure.

Thanks!
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us