Motive 1.5 Final now available

NaturalPoint-Dustin

Motive 1.5 Final now available

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Motive 1.5 Final is now available

Featuring over 150 new features and fixes, Motive 1.5 Final is now available for download.

New features & enhancements
  • Improved real-time skeleton tracking, including greater stability during heavy marker occlusion and faster recovery after tracking loss.
  • New rigid body engine, offering more accurate 6DoF data, significantly higher marker counts, and reduced noise and latency—especially in difficult tracking cases.
  • Improved camera ray ranking during reconstruction, to better eliminate outlier rays.
  • New editing tools, including pattern and model-based gap filling.
  • New real-time NatNet commands, offering improvements to remotely triggering recording and managing files.
  • Plus over 150 additional features and fixes. The complete changelog can be viewed here.
If you require technical support using Motive, please contact our technical support team.

Direct download link:
http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... .0_x32.exe
http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... .0_x64.exe

Licensing:
Requires a license valid through October 15, 2013 (check license status here).

Download section on the OptiTrack site:
http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/d ... otive.html

Previous Release Notes

Motive 1.5 Beta 2 Key Features

Improvements:
  • Several new commands have been added to the NatNet command stream:
    - Start recording
    - Stop recording
    - Set current take (for either recording or playback)
    - Set current mode (Live/Edit)
  • Motive is now consistently right-handed. No more right handed/left handed switching
Fixes:
  • A number of NatNet marker streaming issues that existed in Beta 1 were resolved
  • The Motive API was giving incorrect results in 1.5 Beta 1
  • A few random crashes while recording MJPEG from a single Prime 17W camera
  • Occasional crashes on 'Trajectorize All'
  • VRPN and Trackd streaming was not working in 1.5 Beta 1
  • Plus over 50 additional bug fixes

Motive 1.5 Beta 1 Key Features
  • Skeleton tracking is more stable during heavy marker occlusion (for Motive:Body users)
  • Faster skeletal labeling recovery during real-time (for Motive:Body users)
  • Rigid body tracking and stability have been significantly improved
  • New rigid body pose estimation delivers better 6 DOF accuracy, lower noise, and significant reductions in latency--especially in difficult rigid body tracking cases
  • Live tracking of markers, skeletons and rigid bodies can be recorded directly, potentially removing the need for trajectorization
  • Model-based gap filling that uses tracked skeletons or rigid bodies to fill large data gaps
  • Pattern-based gap filling that allows similar markers to drive a solution for a missing marker
  • Improved camera ray ranking during reconstruction, to better eliminate outlier rays
doktorvr

Re: Motive 1.5 Beta 1 now available

Post by doktorvr »

Bug found:

The 1.5 beta is missing the option to set the coordinate system to left handed.

In 1.0.2 and earlier, this option is found in the Application Settings -> Application Options -> Right Handed System -> True/False.

In 1.5beta , this option now reads "take suffix" and has a nonsense value.

Please fix this for the final release. It's important for us as it will break other software we use.
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Dear Doktorvr,

Thank you for your feedback. We have deprecated the ability to switch from left handed to right handed. Motive is now right-handed.
In 1.5 beta , this option now reads "take suffix" and has a nonsense value.
It is a format string for what to append to the end of each newly captured take file.

Best Regards,
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
doktorvr

Post by doktorvr »

Dear Dustin,

Thank you for the response.

What is the reason behind you deciding to deprecate this option? If you were to do so, you are likely to cause many customers annoyance and extra unnecessary work. We use a number of different 3D applications (3DS Max, Maya, Unity etc), and each use different coordinate systems. Motive is a key "provider" of data to these applications, and we have build a number of scripts in each to work alongside Motive. It would be very disappointing if Motive was seen to become more restrictive with newer versions!
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Hello,

We had different handedness in Motive depending on how you exported/streamed data, what type of data it was, where you were in the application, etc. This discontinuity created confusion for many of our customers. So to make Motive more consistent and to make integration more straightforward and reliable, we standardized the handedness throughout the app. We also added conversion classes and code examples for those using the streams and exported files to convert to left-handed coordinates, if needed. We welcome any feedback on how we can generally improve workflows and make Motive easier to work with.

Best Regards,
Dustin
gotoxy

Post by gotoxy »

Hi Dustin,

is the Model-based gap filling method similar to the 'ridgid body' gap filling method of motion builder, where the occluded marker is reconstructed with the data of the definded ridgid body by the complete marker group.
E.g. a occluded hip marker is reconstruced by the ridgid body defined by all 4 hip markers?

Best
Sven
NaturalPoint-Dustin

HI Sven,

Model-based fill uses a defined rigid body or skeleton to fill a gap on a marker that is part of one of those models. Pattern-based gap fill allows any set of markers to be selected and used as rigid patterns to fill a marker instead of having to have a rigid body asset defined.

Regards,
Dustin
gotoxy

Post by gotoxy »

Hello Dustin,

thanx, know I understand! Very nice feature!
The new editing workflow in Motive makes Motionbuilder obsolete for cleaning procedure :)
I like that.
Btw. I'm very surprised and pleased how smooth Motive is runnning. (ok, some minor glitches like the missing 'export tracking data for all' or the up and down on events of the scrollbar of the takes list during longer seesions ;)
But I think this can be fixed with ease.

Best Regards
Sven
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Re: Update: Motive 1.5 Beta 2 now available

Hi Sven,

I am happy you are pleased. We are always looking for ways to improve our software.

Best Regards,.
Dustin
Aiur

Re: Update: Motive 1.5 Beta 2 now available

Post by Aiur »

I would also like to comment about the issue of the handedness. In my humble opinion, I don't think removing useful options is the way to add robustness to a software application. Considering Motive as a data providing software, I think it should interesting to have all possible options on how this data will be available.

So personally, I really would like to see this option back.