Creating New Markersets?

dcar

Creating New Markersets?

Post by dcar »

I was curious as to how I might create a new markerset for Motive to be used for actors. It would be greatly beneficial.
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Re: Creating New Markersets?

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Hello Dcar,

This is planned as a future addition to Motive. Our standard marker sets have been optimized for good skeleton solving and will usually give better overall tracking results than a custom marker set. We have experimented with several marker sets specified by customers and they found this to be generally true. I would like to know what type of marker set you are in need of.

Best Regards,
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
gotoxy

Post by gotoxy »

Hello!

I would appreciate a markerset with 2 additional marker on the upper body front, e.g. on the clavicle, if this is possible.
This could give more stability when the actor is laying down (e.g. on the table of an CT-imager)

An other idea is to add some redundancy of the leg markers on the back od the legs.
Is this possible, or this there to much movement of the muscle that prevents proper tracking?

Best.
Sven
dcar

Post by dcar »

Ideally, every body part (head, chest, upper arms, fore arms, hands, pelvis, thighs, calves, feet) would have a minimum of four markers for the sake of redundant data. I know there's not a lot of real estate on the hands, but having the option available would be appreciated.

As Sven (gotoxy) points out, a majority of the markers tracking the upper torso are found on the back. If an actor falls down, we lose a lot of data. Even worse are portions of the limbs that can get hidden for extended periods during certain actions.

I appreciate the solid real-time solving that the Motive base markersets provide. However, if I had to choose between having real-time solving to a skeleton and having extra markers to reconstruct obfuscated data with, I would prefer the latter. (Though both is of course the most desirable ;) )

Looking forward to this feature! Thanks,
-DC-
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Hello,

Thank you for the valuable feedback. It would be helpful if you submitted this feedback through:

help.naturalpoint.com

Best Regards,
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
dcar

Post by dcar »

I submitted it to Help, with the following addendum:

Additionally it's worth mentioning that the names of the markers in the base Motive sets aren't very user friendly. It's not difficult to remember in what order (for example) LHand-1, LHand-2, and LHand-3 appear on the limb, but it's not necessary and provides and extra hurdle for new users. Naming those markers LHand, LOuterWrist, and LInnerWrist would allow anyone on sight to know precisely where those markers are expected to be.