Connecting via WiFi

MattJDunn

Connecting via WiFi

Post by MattJDunn »

I'm connecting an OptiTrack system up with an Oculus Rift headset. These headsets are currently not available as wireless (without heavy modification), so I'm wondering if we can go down the route of strapping a laptop to the player's back and having the MoCap system be wireless instead. Since the only restriction here is the Ethernet cable to the laptop itself, I wonder if it's feasible to have the cameras all hooked up to a hub as usual, but have the actual connection between hub and laptop be made using a WiFi bridge (and whether anyone has any tips on how to achieve this)..?

The question is, how do I ask Motive to look for the cameras over a WiFi connection, and are there likely to be latency issues inherent in this?
danwarom

Re: Connecting via WiFi

Post by danwarom »

Hey Matt,

Going on my limited time with the Occulus, to the best of my knowledge the very best way of approaching this problem is to pick up a HDMI transmitter and a USB transmitter. Then grab one of those off the shelf battery packs that can deliver the correct amp and volt to your Occulus.

I currently use a wireless HDMI setup with the VCS we have here and it works a treat. Nyrix seem to have the most popular of these wireless HDMI kits. Belkin make a wireless USB but ive not tested it.

But what you're doing is on my list of things to to!

Cheers