doc "Trim Tails"

mariano_mena

doc "Trim Tails"

Post by mariano_mena »

Can you better explain the use of TRIM TAILS , please ?
The only doc I found was on contextual help and on wiki, but its not enough for me. Please bring more detail about how it works. THANKS
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: doc "Trim Tails"

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello mariano_mena,

When markers are occluded, there can sometimes be a spike in the curve around the edges of the gap that is produced. When this spike exists in the curve, doing any kind of gap filling on the marker may produce some slight noise in the filled data, caused by the spike itself.

The trim tails operation is often used to eliminate these spikes before gap filling begins. The operation simply cuts a couple of keys from the beginning and the end of the gap. Using the Smart Trim option causes Motive to trim only those keys that are detected as part of a spike, so that good tracking data is not cut.

I hope this begins to answer the questions you have regarding Trim Tails. If you need further information on using this feature, please feel free to open a ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com, where we can better assist you.

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer
rafaelsanchezsouza

Post by rafaelsanchezsouza »

Hello,

I believe I understand the function of the Tool, but I can't understand it's use.
I need to trim this "tail" here, which setting should I use?

I've tried many different settings and I just can't make it work

Thanks
trim_tail.png
trim_tail.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello rafaelsanchezsouza,

The Trim Tails tool does not remove data such as what you show in your image. Tails are the beginnings and ends of curves, right around a gap. The 4 keys in your image are not a gap, but a jump in the curve.

You can select those keys and hit the Delete key, on your keyboard, to remove them. Afterword, you can perform a fill to fill in the missing data.

Cheers,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer