no ground plane

rsrs

no ground plane

Post by rsrs »

Hello,

I'm experiencing a strange event in motive, when I want to set the GroundPlane after calibration. I sometimes don't see the groundplane-markers in the perspective view. Because of this, I'm unable to select or set the groundplane and have to open an older project and calibrate again.
Someone experienced this before?

(Using motive 1.9. Before I was using an older motive version, where this event didn't occur)

Thanks!
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: no ground plane

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello rsrs,

Thank you for getting in touch regarding this behavior. After a new calibration you should certainly see the three markers for the calibration square. There are a couple of things that might prevent them from showing.

You may want to check your visibility settings at the top of the perspective view. It may be that markers have been toggled off somewhere in those settings.

If markers should be displaying, you can check your Reconstruction Settings pane to be sure Point Cloud Reconstruction is enabled. If it is not, you will not see markers in realtime.

One other possibility, other than a failed calibration, is that you may have reconstruction bounds enabled in the Reconstruction Settings. The Minimum Y may be set to something that prevents markers from reconstructing below the floor plane grid.

Give the above a try, and if you continue to experience this issue, please feel free to open a Support ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com

Cheers,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer
wolfgangp

Post by wolfgangp »

Hello,

I'm experiencing what rsrs describes, using two Prime 13 cameras. They are mounted rather close to each other, and one is upside-down (due to cable management). Right after calibration ("Exceptional" quality reported) I cannot reconstruct anything, this includes the calibration square for setting the ground plane.
I tried multiple times, also with settings defaulted to factory beforehand, and checked my custom wand settings. Point-cloud reconstruction is enabled (engine v4), reconstruction bounds are disabled and markers visible.
Furthermore, when the calibration square is aligned just right, one marker will be reconstructed and if I select it in the perspective view, I can see in the camera preview that it's not actually the same marker.

I would appreciate any advice on this. Seems like a wrong camera matrix to me.
Cheers
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello wolfgangp,

Since you are receiving exceptional calibration results, it would be useful for me to take a look at your data.

Could you please open a Support ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com, and provide a recording (.tak) of your Calibration Square as it sits in your volume?

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer
javi_six_strings

Post by javi_six_strings »

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same that rsrs describes with four cameras Flex 3.

I've already checked the Point Reconstruction, the minimum Y (which is set to -6 meters (the cameras are at more or less a meter from the ground) and in the perspective view, the cameras are shown in orange (which I believe it means that real-time reconstruction is enabled).

I don't know how to check "visibility settings at the top of the perspective view" as Steve Andrews (moderator) said, I've seen every one submenus and I didn't find that exact name, the similar thing I'm seeing is "Views" inside "Application settings", and I didn't see anything like toggle on/off the markers visibility.

During the wanding, I can see wand's markers at the 3D perspective view. After getting an exceptional calibration report and apply the result, markers disappear from 3D perspective view, being unable to set ground plane. I've tried to set the ground plane before applying the calibration (even this makes no sense), but I still not seeing the markers in 3D view.

I've read that USB 3.0 is causing problems to many people, so I've changed the hub to an USB 2.0 port. This is my status log with 3.0 port (during two wandings):

8.98 1 Sync Device: Partial Frame Group Delivered
8.94 1 2D: Out Of Band FrameID
8.97 1 Camera 2: Dropped Frame
8.94 1 Camera 2: Object Overflow
8.94 1 Camera 2: Segment Overflow
8.93 1 Camera 2: Packet Header CRC Fail
8.93 1 Camera 2: Invalid Packet Received
8.98 1 Camera 3: Dropped Frame
8.93 1 Camera 3: Object Overflow
8.93 1 Camera 3: Segment Overflow
8.92 1 Camera 3: Packet Header CRC Fail
8.92 1 Camera 3: Invalid Packet Received
8.98 1 Camera 4: Dropped Frame
8.93 1 Camera 4: Object Overflow
8.93 1 Camera 4: Segment Overflow
8.92 1 Camera 4: Packet Header CRC Fail
8.92 1 Camera 4: Invalid Packet Received
8.98 1 Camera 1: Dropped Frame
8.92 1 Camera 1: Object Overflow
8.92 1 Camera 1: Segment Overflow
8.91 1 Camera 1: Packet Header CRC Fail
8.91 1 Camera 1: Invalid Packet Received

And this is the log with 2.0 port (one wanding):

5.84 1 Sync Device: Partial Frame Group Delivered
5.84 1 Camera 3: Dropped Frame
5.79 1 Camera 3: Packet Header CRC Fail
5.79 1 Camera 3: Invalid Packet Received
5.83 1 Camera 4: Dropped Frame
5.78 1 Camera 4: Packet Header CRC Fail
5.78 1 Camera 4: Invalid Packet Received
5.83 1 Camera 1: Dropped Frame
5.78 1 Camera 1: Packet Header CRC Fail
5.78 1 Camera 1: Invalid Packet Received
5.77 1 Camera 2: Packet Header CRC Fail
5.77 1 Camera 2: Invalid Packet Received

These are the kind of problems that I've found people's complaining of, and the answer was an issue with the type of port. I don't know if this is related with being unable to set the ground plane...

Hope you can help me!

Thanks in advance,

Javi.
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello Javi,

There are a lot of things to look into for your issue, but setting the ground plane is most likely not related to the USB 3.0 errors you mentioned.

I would start by resetting all application settings to default, then attempting a fresh calibration without loading any existing Projects. This can be done at the top of Motive.
Edit -> Reset Application Settings

If this does not help you to set your ground plane, please open a Support ticket with us so we can troubleshoot properly (help.naturalpoint.com). When doing this, please provide a recording (.tak) of the calibration square sitting on the floor, as it would be if you were ready to set the ground plane.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
javi_six_strings

Post by javi_six_strings »

Hello Steven,

I think it was the video type of the camera, which I had in "RAW grayscale" instead of "Precision mode". Now I've been able to set the ground plane it's working!

Thank you! Now it's time to learn how your software works! :)

Javi.