Markers on the animals / Using custom Markers

hongcool

Markers on the animals / Using custom Markers

Post by hongcool »

Hello there,

I want to have a test for the Quadruped animals. So I want to make some questions clear.

1. Motive doesn't support any kind of custom skeletons as far as I know. That means if I want to record Quadruped play, do I always have to start with the one of the preset marker list?

2. If number 1 is yes.....
For example If I choose basic 37 human maker set and want to remove some of markers from its list, do I have to do "Removing markers" every time I play?

3. I made a custom maker list(*.XML) the other day in order to have a test. All the 19 markers are named manually like "Head, Neck, L_shoulder, R_shoulder, L_arm, R_arm, Spine1, Spine, L_pelvis, R_pelvis, L_leg1, L_leg2, R_leg1, R_leg2, Tail_01, Tail_02, Tail_03, Tail_04, Tail_05"
and I expected "19 markers needed" message on the right side of bottom Skeleton panel when I choose a 'Choose marker set' and select its *.XML file.
However there were no changes at all. Did I miss something? or Did I misunderstood about 'Choose marker set' menu?

Thanks,
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Markers on the animals / Using custom Markers

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello hongcool,

Thank you for reaching out to the community. I have some information regarding your questions, below.

1. Motive doesn't support any kind of custom skeletons as far as I know. That means if I want to record Quadruped play, do I always have to start with the one of the preset marker list?
For body tracking, Motive only supports the skeletons that are currently listed in the Skeleton pane. It is not possible to adjust these to work for a quadruped.

2. If number 1 is yes.....
For example If I choose basic 37 human maker set and want to remove some of markers from its list, do I have to do "Removing markers" every time I play?

That is correct. You can add to and remove from the existing marker setups, but this will need to be done every time you create the skeleton. This is probably not a good solution for quadruped tracking, since Skeleton creation requires the subject to perform a T-Pose.

3. I made a custom maker list(*.XML) the other day in order to have a test. All the 19 markers are named manually like "Head, Neck, L_shoulder, R_shoulder, L_arm, R_arm, Spine1, Spine, L_pelvis, R_pelvis, L_leg1, L_leg2, R_leg1, R_leg2, Tail_01, Tail_02, Tail_03, Tail_04, Tail_05"
and I expected "19 markers needed" message on the right side of bottom Skeleton panel when I choose a 'Choose marker set' and select its *.XML file.
However there were no changes at all. Did I miss something? or Did I misunderstood about 'Choose marker set' menu?

It sounds like you are using the Marker XML files. These can be used to change the names of the markers on the default Skeletons. When you select one of the Marker XML files in the drop down and create a Skeleton, default marker names will be changed to the names indicated in the XML. This XML does not allow you to create an entirely new skeleton setup, only adjust the existing.

What will probably work best for you is to use the Markersets. This tool allows you to create lists of custom marker names that can be used to label your data. Unfortunately, the Markersets do not track or label automatically the way the built-in skeletons do, so you will have to manually label the markers after creating the Markerset.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
hongcool

Re: Markers on the animals / Using custom Markers

Post by hongcool »

Thanks for your reply!

Anyway, I can't find any good references in this forum about Quadruped animal capturing process.
But you finally suggested me to use Markerset. Is that right? Okay I'll test it.

p.s.) If you have any other idea setting up for the Quadruped animals, anytime let me know. =D