Why doesn't Motive 3.0 support the Flex series?

eaglet

Why doesn't Motive 3.0 support the Flex series?

Post by eaglet »

I was surprised by the Motive 3.0 beta release.
However, I was disappointed to hear that all Flex series cameras would not be supported.
We have been waiting for Motive 3.0 for a very long time, and all I can say is that it is a shame.
There should be nothing wrong with the hardware to be able to use the new skeleton solver.
Are you not going to support the Flex series?
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Why doesn't Motive 3.0 support the Flex series?

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi eaglet,

Thank you for sharing this feedback with the community. We understand your frustration and are sorry for this.

The security key that protects the integrity of Motive 3.0 is not currently supported by USB-based OptiTrack cameras. Please reach out to sales@naturalpoint.com if you would like to discuss this further; we would be happy to help you with a solution.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
wiki.optitrack.com
support@optitrack.com
eaglet

Post by eaglet »

That seemed like very good news.
However, as you said, I contacted sales, only to get the answer that the Flex series will not work with Motive 3.0.
They then suggested that I purchase Primex cameras.

The way you wrote it, it could be read that the security key is not supported, but the software itself supports Flex cameras.
After posting on the forum, I noticed that the Flex13 camera is listed as "Coming Soon" in the Motive 3.0 specs list.
What are the actual plans for the future?
oddbody

Post by oddbody »

Hi,

This topic is important for me as I'm close to buying a Optitrack system using flex13 cameras,
but I also want to be able to upgrade to motive 3 at some point. I checked the motive specs
as suggested in this thread, and was wondering if you have a more precise date of when this
feature will be implemented.

Thanks,

Iwan
oddbody

Post by oddbody »

Hi,

Yes I just talked to the sales representative for Europe as well and he told me the same thing, that
the Flex13 cameras won't be upgraded to motive body 3.0 and that the coming soon message would
be removed from the page shortly.

That basically means that the Flex cameras will always be stuck at v 2.3, which makes it a legacy
system and makes me second guess investing in it. It would be good to get an official statement on
this issue to help clear things up.

Thanks,

Iwan
oddbody

Post by oddbody »

Wow, this thread dates back six months and no answer!

If you contact sales they will tell you this feature is not coming at all, but It would be nice to have
an official answer to this question from a non-marketing person. Maybe it doesn't make commercial
sense to pursue this, but it definitely matters to people who have invested in the flex13 cameras.
oddbody

Post by oddbody »

I just saw that the "coming soon" support notice for the Flex13 cameras has been removed.

Does that now mean that support for these cameras is no longer on the Motive 3.0 roadmap
and only Prime cameras will be supported. If so that is disappointing and means quite a
few users besides me will feel that they are being left out.

As previously pointed out, the fact that there is no technical reason that these cameras can't
be supported is even more suprising.

I look forward to getting more info on what the status and plans are on this issue.

Thanks