Why the 3 Skeleton Limit in Motive 3? Not just captured, but only 3 total? T-Pose hell.

RaveTZ

Why the 3 Skeleton Limit in Motive 3? Not just captured, but only 3 total? T-Pose hell.

Post by RaveTZ »

The 3 skeleton limitation in the 3.0 beta doesn't seem to be well designed. Especially since 2.3 doesn't have this limitation. I understand the business behind making yet another tier of motive, but there is a big design flaw with the current implementation of the 3 skeleton restriction.

Motive now only allows for 3 total skeletons in your asset lists. I can have a lot of rigid bodies, some active, some not, but only 3 skeletons total.

Here is why thats a problem.

We use multiple versions of the same performer and activate the skeleton based on our needs. Its still just one person performing, but now we have to re-setup the character every time we need to change. We typically had 5-8 variations of one actor. We're finding ourselves having to return to Motive 2.3 because of this.

If the limitation of 3 skeletons is firm in stone due to some business choice, fine. But don't limit the number of skeleton assets too. Just keep the limit in how many you can track at one time. Seriously, this feels like a very poor design choice.
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Why the 3 Skeleton Limit in Motive 3? Not just captured, but only 3 total? T-Pose hell.

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi RaveTZ,

Thank you for this feedback regarding the changes to Motive 3.0's licensing.

We are not sure we understand the need or benefit for using the multiple skeletons on a single person. Please feel free to share your experience directly with our Support team, and we will be happy to let our engineers know about your use case.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
wiki.optitrack.com
support@optitrack.com
artoo

Re: Why the 3 Skeleton Limit in Motive 3? Not just captured, but only 3 total? T-Pose hell.

Post by artoo »

Hello,

i can imagine things like this:

you capture a longer take with an action part, and during the action the suit does accidentally move.
being able to make multiple skeletons, i could make one from the t-pose at the beginning and a new one from the tpose at the end of the take,
export both and use the better halfes of each solve.

also, sometimes we put additional markers on a suit, but do not assign them.
those markers can help with editing to fill occlusion gaps. (in modelbased fill)
(like putting extra markers on the sides of the hips, when i expect the both front or rear markers of the hips get covered during the take)
but since these extra markers tend to confuse the rest, i might want to only use them when really needed
and also move others around when i have the extra markers.
this might need additional skeletons for different takes, for the same actor.

but most importantly, we often have more than 3 people to capture, but only capture one or two at once.
now i will need to make multiple projects, which does not really help anything.

the limitation is not working, it is only bothering by making the work artificially uneffective and annoying.

i think its good to have a basic and a unlimited version,
and capturing only 3 figures at once in the base version is a fair limitation.

but i also vote for no limit in the assets. :)

thanks!