We are looking for solution ideas when there is a height difference between the avatar and the actor.

ano

We are looking for solution ideas when there is a height difference between the avatar and the actor.

Post by ano »

If there is a difference between the heights of the two actors and the height of the avatar, they cannot be aligned. For example, even if Actor A puts his hand on Actor B's shoulder, it will not fit if the avatar's height is different.

I think this can't be helped.

But I would like to ask if there is an idea to solve it (or reduce it).

Erikver

Re: We are looking for solution ideas when there is a height difference between the avatar and the actor.

Post by Erikver »

We are currently looking for a solution to the exact problem you are facing. I don't suppose you found a solution yet? If so it would be great to know how to fix this issue.
paulmocapcentral

Re: We are looking for solution ideas when there is a height difference between the avatar and the actor.

Post by paulmocapcentral »

For pre-recorded motion capture data you could make the height adjustment during the retargeting step in Maya or other creative tool. I'm open to helping you with this if interested. If you want to stream the mocap data live to avatars of different heights then your actors would need to adjust their poses during contacts with each other to match the avatars height difference.

Cheers,
Paul Metcalfe
paul@mocapcentral.com
www.mocapcentral.com
pichael9

Post by pichael9 »

While I was working on something similar with the Kinect years ago, I was able to solve some of the problems by using a two-color suit, a mantle and a leg of each color, so the CV understood which arm and which leg would be in front during walking recordings. beside. If you face this problem in the future, I leave this tip. Looks like a great tool, it will help a lot of people! I wish you much success!
UntitledProject

Post by UntitledProject »

use motionbuilder to do any retargeting from your Actor to your Character bones
Davids

Post by Davids »

ano wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:52 pm If there is a difference between the heights of the two actors and the height of the avatar, they cannot be aligned. For example, even if Actor A puts his hand on Actor B's shoulder, it will not fit if the avatar's height is different.

I think this can't be helped.

But I would like to ask if there is an idea to solve it (or reduce it).

Hey! I get what you're saying about the height difference messing with the avatar alignment – it can be tricky. One idea to reduce it could be adjusting the avatar's proportions dynamically based on the heights of the actors. That way, the virtual interactions might sync up better with the real-world actions. It's a bit techy, but could be worth exploring. Good luck!
josefromeo123

Post by josefromeo123 »

Thanks for the suggestion! Dynamically adjusting the avatar's proportions based on the heights of the actors sounds like an interesting approach to improve alignment in virtual interactions. It's definitely a bit technical, but exploring this idea could lead to more synchronized and immersive experiences. Much like how Helena Rojo adapts to different roles with versatility, adapting the avatar's proportions dynamically could enhance the overall realism and engagement of the virtual environment