Using Motive to solve non-human skeletons

TheIndustry

Using Motive to solve non-human skeletons

Post by TheIndustry »

Hi,

My name's Ben, I'm a solo game developer, and I'm looking to invest in motion capture for improved quality and efficiency of animation. Optitrack, as best I can tell, seems to be the best option that is still in my price range, however I have one major hang up. My game contains a wide variety of non-human characters, some of which aren't even humanoid. As I don't want a major discrepancy between the animation quality of the human and non-human characters, I don't want to invest in motion capture if it only works for humans.

So I'd really like to know if Optitrack can record data from non-human sources, and more importantly, solve for non-human skeletons. Everything I've found suggests that it can, but I haven't been able to find a direct confirmation, which is giving me pause. Also, ideally, doing so would not be overly more complicated, as my technical know-how is limited at best, and a large part of considering motion capture is as a time-saver.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated,
Cheers.
paulmocapcentral

Re: Using Motive to solve non-human skeletons

Post by paulmocapcentral »

Hi Ben,

What non-human characters would you like to capture, are you looking for tracking animals? I'm not aware of any non-human skeleton solve within Motive (Optitrack software). You could try exporting the marker data and solving within a DCC app such as Maya could be an option, not one I have personal experience doing.

If you have any other questions or would like to review some animation data from Optitrack then feel free to email me at paul@mocapcentral.com. I own an indie mocap studio (www.mocapcentral.com) and have 20+ years of animation experience in the game industry. Let me know.

Cheers,
Paul Metcalfe
Owner @ Mocap Central
herrry99

Re: Using Motive to solve non-human skeletons

Post by herrry99 »

What non-human characters would you like to capture, are you looking for tracking animals? I'm not aware of any non-human skeleton solve within Motive (Optitrack software). You could try exporting the marker data and solving within a DCC app such as Maya could be an option, not one I have personal experience doing.