HALFLIFE2

taxi

Re: HALFLIFE2

Post by taxi »

Ok, I know seamless adjustable animation probably won't be possible for a while. So just a suggestion for when it would become possible somewhere in the future:

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint-Warren:

z-speed- i think translation (leaning up/down, left/right, in/out) shouldn't affect your character in any excessive ways (speed, kneeling/prone). because people will do it by accident, and then feel frustrated that they're being "forced" to maintain a certain posture.[/QB]I agree, I think it's better to use the normal prone, crouch and stand keys and only use TrackIR for fine tuning. I was thinking wouldn't be a good idea to use a button to trigger TrackIR.

So for instance I'm going from standing to crouch by pressing the crouch-key, but instead of only pressing it, I hold it. By holding it TrackIR is triggered and during holding I can adjust my body posture. When after that, I again hit (without holding) a stance button, my position is reset to that stance's basic body posture.

Perhaps it's a good idea to have a seperate dedicated TrackIR toggle key as well, that way you can toggle TrackIR adjustment on and off. So this means with TrackIR toggled on you can determine your body position and seperate the head rotation from the mouse (allowing you to rotate your head to look around and putting your weapon vertical while still looking forward). If you untoggle your body and weapon is turned towards where you are looking. (perhaps with a seperate toggle key, the holding function isn't required, but you could still undo the TrackIR in put by just hitting a stance key).

This way you don't have to stay still in one position in front of your screen, which I reckon many people would dislike.

P.S. about leaning and rolling in prone, I would do it this way:

Leaning is leaning
Tilting is rolling.

[ May 06, 2005, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: taxi ]
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

-realtime animation of body elements, independent of pre-programmed animation, is very possible. (example : controlling your head with trackir, while the rest of your body goes through a reload, or running, etc. animation).
This is already in the half life engine for sure. I've read about it being in the next UT3 engine. no idea (yet) if it's in the doom3 engine, but it's a good bet it's in any modern engine that supports ragdoll physics.

-also, i'm curious about the idea of designing special key functions into trackir usage. i've heard some people say TrackIR should be natural to use at all costs (invisible to the user), and i've heard others say it could work better if you added a certain keystroke/complication function. i'm curious where you all stand on this. thoughts?

[ May 10, 2005, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
Tobruk

Post by Tobruk »

I'm going to jump in here with my FPS comments regarding ww2OL.

I find it too awkward to use trackIR as infantry.

If I see a target off to the left or right as I am running foward, it is too difficult to realign my body and head to get a shot off.

What could help is having a key bind such that if I see a target on the left (or right) I hit the right mouse button and the avaitar automatically realigns itself to the direction of where my track IR is pointing, ideally with the iron sights raised.

Does this make sense?

[ May 14, 2005, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Tobruk ]
pepper

Post by pepper »

That indeed does, sometimes you fip 180 in half a second in a fps, then its hard to follow wiht your head!
Piddy

Post by Piddy »

I see the private HL2 Mod forums is still getting regular updates ... guess there must still be some effort going on. *waits patiently for any scrap of news*
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Yessir, there is a lot of activity.

here is a scrap of news - we have 4 different 'modes' in our mod, so the beta testers can try out different methods of TrackIR control. 2 of these modes do involve a way to snap the gun to wherever you're looking.

The current plan for this mod is to make is to make it public over the summer, so we can get some help from mod groups (there are soooo many cool ideas to explore).

Look for a "FPS Mod Projects" page to show up in the 'developers' section of our website in the next couple months.
thebgpikester

Post by thebgpikester »

Keep up the work guys, we are all behind you. You showcase well in HL2 and you can get Trackir enhanced FPS games. Am happy to help the Beta if you need.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Appreciate it, Pikey.
We have reached our Beta Tester limit for the time being, but there's a good chance we'll release the mod to the public soon.
snaileri

Post by snaileri »

Appreciate it, Pikey.
We have reached our Beta Tester limit for the time being, but there's a good chance we'll release the mod to the public soon.
What happened to this mod?
It's been over a year since last news about the modification, and I want to know why you didn't release it.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

We've been working to polish our mod, so we can present it to our contacts at Valve.

When the programmer who created the mod left the company last year, i turned to the mod community to polish off his work. But they were tough to motivate, and just a couple months back we ended up talking the original programmer into resuming work on it.

So that is where we are. Very close, but no promises yet.

Since Valve has been very friendly about considering support if we give them a polished/easy solution, we've held off offering the current (slightly buggy, and complicated to set up) version to the public.

Once the mod is polished and presented, if Valve ultimately passes on putting support into their games we will consider the options for releasing it to the public.

So, apologies for the delay, but I assure you we are working on it.