Please - W.O.W (world of warcraft)

fl390

Please - W.O.W (world of warcraft)

Post by fl390 »

Ok this game would be great for TrackIR, it has right-button mouse-look support.. I want to use trackIR to do this.

I'm a bit confused about support - some posts say "turn on mouse emulation", but I can find no such option. WOW has no joystick support that a 3rd party tool could use to allow trackIR to work.

Why doesn't the trackIR driver include, by default, shift-mouse support? in other words, if the driver sees you hold down a designated mouse button, the head tracking takes over mouse movements?? that would allow a lot of games like WOW to work out of the box...
Barred

Re: Please - W.O.W (world of warcraft)

Post by Barred »

What driver version are you using?

There was a mouse emulation upto ver 3, but is no longer there in ver4.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

yes, we removed "mouse emulation" from the trackIR product line because it kept confusing people. They would use mouse emulation in some random game that was never meant for it, and they'd think that the product was less than awesome.

so we decided to focus on only promoting TrackIR usage in games that have built in support for it. This way people will only experience the best TrackIR experience. This way people will recognize trackir as it's own separate input device (a new standard) instead of confusing it as merely a mouse emulating gimmick.

it may seem limiting, but,
A) a ton of games are coming out this year with TrackIR Enhanced support.
B) 3rd party programs are still allowing the trackir to be used in many games it isn't supported in. not that we wan to draw too much attention to this practice (see above. heh.)
c) you can get a smartnav device, our hands free mouse product - which can also run TrackIR software - and have the best of both worlds.

in other news,
are there vehicles in WOW?
Or is it like Star Wars Galaxies where you mostly walk around in a 3rd person perspective, but can zoom in?

Since you suggested it, we will look into it.

[ December 30, 2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Warren Blyth -webdev- ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

I can see why you had to do it Warren, as you say TIR was being missapplied and put to one side.

I am now onmy second TIR and in the supported games Iwould never go back. To be honest it has gotten to the point that if a sim does not support TIR I am not interested.

I am looking forward to seeing the developements planned come to fruition for GTR as I think that has the best implementation outside a flight sim and unfortunatly more people drive car games than flight sims and would I hope broaden the user base for TIR.
Leodur

Post by Leodur »

If one of you manage to use TrackIR with world of warcraft, please keep us informed.
The gameplay would greatly benefit from this kind of tool.
Probably a uge new oportunity for new custumers also.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Leodur, I will try and see if there is a way. I can't make any promesis with the software that is out there but I will see if it is possible. I am getting WoW tomorrow, and I would love to see other areas where TIR could be of use, for personal (medical) reasons.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

i'm still stunned by this.

how would trackir help you at all?
there are no vehicles!

you can download the old 3.13 software and try our mouse looking with your head.
but how does this help?
is there any cool factor?
is there a lot to be doing World of Warcraft while using mouse look?
Barred

Post by Barred »

Warren you can use mouse look on the right button in WoW. I can't speak for th other guys, but I like to use TIR in as many games as possible not just sims.

If you think about what WoW (and other MMORPG's for that matter) they are trying to bring you into their world and TIR could help with the immersion for the same reasons as say IL2.
Leodur

Post by Leodur »

The main point is immertion and reaction speed. It's not for cheating in pvp as mosts player today have to use both hand to :

- move, forward backward, strafe and circle strafe(right mouse clic there)
- move you point of view (mouse left clic)
- Use your hability : more then 20 spell or sp�cial actions
- Chat

Right now I am moving all the movement keyboard imput to the foot (kind of like a special swing bar) and if I could adjust point of view to neck movement I will be great, leaving the hand free for fast reaction.
I could even try to chat with Team Speak or try to use Dragon natural speaking (kind of tricky this one)

It's mainly the challenge of doing it that drive me.
After all its a first person point of view game, immersion will be total in a few year.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Leodur, not for hte lack of trying but no go. The trouble is that the mouse look is tied to the right mouse button and it's being depressed to enable mouse look.